View post (finger issues with pentatonic scale)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/07/2020 2:44 am
Originally Posted by: tammielyn.tsi've been learning scales a bit, and want to work more on them, to memorize, play etc. i watched a video on the pentatonic scale. I absolutely think i will not be able to do it.[/quote]

First & foremost, everything on guitar is hard & seems impossible at first. :)[br][br]Especially if you are an adult learner & your hands are already feeling tired & old! So, let's take a step back here.

Why are you looking at that lesson on the G minor scale using the 3rd & 6th fret? What purpose do you want to use that scale for? What do you intend to accomplish with it?

If you want to learn the pentatonic minor scale & play it in a blues context (a typical application), then try this tutorial instead.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=189

1. It's easier to play because it uses open strings.

2. It's a series of simple basic licks aimed at beginner level skills.

3. It shows the scale in the context of a musical form. In other words, it gives you a practical purpose for the scale.

Next, I think we already discussed you having trouble with the action on your acoustic guitar being too high. The heavier strings & typically higher action of an acoustic will make any scale playing difficult for a beginner.

Do you have access to an electric guitar? If you can, try to play that scale on an electric. You will find the small neck, lower action & lighter strings make it much easier to play many things, scale lines being one of them for sure.

I know you already have an acoustic, but have you considered buying a cheap Fender Squier? They can get had new for under $200 & used for $100. If you are dedicated to the goal of playing guitar it might be the way to go if your hands are having that much trouble on your guitar.

Originally Posted by: tammielyn.tsI am 55 and have rheumatoid arthritis and not sure if that is affecting my ability, however, pressing the Low E string on the 3rd fret and also at the same time the low E on the 6th fret??[/quote]

What lesson or pentatonic scale pattern are you working on exactly? it's possible to play the same note in more than one place on the guitar. So you could play this G minor pentatonic scale pattern:

|--------------------------3---|

|---------------------3-6------|

|-----------------3-5----------|

|------------3-5---------------|

|-------3-5--------------------|

|--3-6-------------------------|

Like this instead:

|--------------------------1-3-|

|---------------------1-3------|

|----------------0-3-----------|

|----------0-3-----------------|

|-----3-1----------------------|

|--3----------------------------|

[quote=tammielyn.ts](i really want to be able to master playing the scales and all that will enable me to do down the road musically) and how will i ever do it?

What exactly are your goals with guitar & music?

[quote=tammielyn.ts]I'm the kind of person who says, 'how hard can it be' so my attitude in life is good, but i'm saying regarding this and how my fingers and hand feels, 'i think it's going to be impossible' help anyone and everyone

That's a good attitude! It will help in this situation. :) I'm willing to bet you can find a way to play, but you might have to adjust your expectations.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory