View post (finger issues with pentatonic scale)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
10/07/2020 2:38 am
Originally Posted by: tammielyn.tsI'm fairly new player.[/quote]

Time (exposure) will take care of much of what you're currently experiencing if [u]it's not a physical restriction[/u]. Don't be in a rush even though being older one is mindful of the time remaining imperative.

Originally Posted by: tammielyn.tsI am 55 and have rheumatoid arthritis and not sure if that is affecting my ability[/quote]

[br]I should think that rheumatoid arthritis probably is. Depends upon how bad it is?! Only you can know how restrictive and/or painful it is for you. Any arthritis in the hands and fingers is going to be a dexterity encumbrance that's for sure. You have my empathy, appreciating that that doesn't help with playing scales.

Originally Posted by: tammielyn.tspressing the Low E string on the 3rd fret and also at the same time the low E on the 6th fret??[/quote]

[br]Scales don't require the fretting (pressing) of any two strings simultaneously. Consecutively yes, concurrently no, so I'm not quite following you.

[quote=tammielyn.ts]Will i ever be able to do this?

A smartphone vid of your hand and fingers in action would help, and it gives me no pleasure to be the naysayer, but it doesn't sound like it. At least not scales or fast licks. Rhythm guitar possibly yes, assuming you have the strength in your fingers.

From as you've described, in your case there appears to be a physical limitation. Depending upon the severity of that, all the will in the world won't overcome it where it's actually a physical disability. Just how biology works and life is. But having reached 55, you already know that.

[quote=tammielyn.ts]How important in the learning process (i really want to be able to master playing the scales and all that will enable me to do down the road musically) and how will i ever do it?

I think the salient question is, can you still enjoy playing guitar if that's just not possible? Your mind is still working so you can understand the theoretical inter-relationship of scales and chords and how they relate to music and guitar. Playing rhythm (strumming chords) is still fun, is still making music, and is an important arguably critical part of performance in making music collaboratively.

[quote=tammielyn.ts]I'm the kind of person who says, 'how hard can it be' so my attitude in life is good, but i'm saying regarding this and how my fingers and hand feels, 'i think it's going to be impossible' help anyone and everyone

[br]Here's my take. I'm a decade older than you. I'd like to be able to ride my motorcycles like I did even 20 years ago. I can't. If I tried, I'd assuredly end up with seriously debilitating injuries. That applies to so many physical things including guitar, albeit in the case of guitar, without the same degree of physical risk of acute injury.

Some things we have just left to late to pursue without encountering some limitation. I'm fortunate in that I only have mild arthritis that doesn't really prevent me pursuing playing scales or licks, yet, but I also don't have the motor skill reflex I did when I was 20 or even 30 either, and find that frustrating regardless that I understand why, am aware of the fact, and accept it. I just work harder at and with what I've got now knowing that its inevitible with age, health issues [u]must[/u] become limiting eventually, visitation of memento mori not occurring beforehand. I know I'm never ever going to be a shredder, not that that was even an objective were it even possible within the who knows how long I have left to play guitar.

[br]I think when older, one has to set physically achievable goals and expectations, taking into consideration the individual hand we've been dealt. That's not a negative mindset. That's confronting a reality we'd rather not head on. I wish I had a more encouraging answer, but superficiality isn't in my DNA. Enjoy what you can do now, and dedicate yourself to doing what you can do, and do it well. Sincerely, all the best.