which strings on acoustic poll

Herman10
Herman10
10/01/2020 7:44 am

Hi, thought I wanted to see what strings people use on acoustic steel string guitars,

brand , kind and gauge and a number from 1 to 10 on satisfaction.

Just changed strings on my acoustic to Ernie Ball's earthwood strings gauge 10-50,

never had them before and never had a problem with other brands replacing strings until now, the balls on the end of the strings went very difficult ( litterally pushing with the string pin ) through the hole in the bridge, it looks like the rings at the end are to big, as to sound they are good, not outstanding.

grasping bar chords goes like a breeze but I always had 12-57 gauge before so that is probably the reason, as to playability, not so good, to much friction from the wounded strings.

My number for these is a 7.

Herman

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
10/01/2020 8:28 am

Suspect it depends to some degree upon the guitar and the tone and feel each individual is looking for their purpose. Whether pre-amplified or pure acoustic playing too.

Mine is a dictated by a preference for Concert bodied acoustics, one of which is pre-amplified slimline cutaway, so for the tones I'm looking for from them I've standardised upon D'Addario EJ16 (uncoated phosphor bronze 12-53). I like how they feel and their [u]warm[/u] bright [u]balanced[/u] tone on Concert bodies.

Because I buy them in bulk I use them on my Dread too, but I don't play it much so haven't experimented with different strings on it other than what it came with, coated 80/20 bronze OEM D'Addario 13s. All in all I'm well satisfied with EJ16s, so if it's workin' I can't see a need for change[u] in my case[/u].

[br]Experimenting with Alice AW432s at the moment.

D'Addario EJ16s I rate 10/10. Obviously I [u]really like[/u] how they feel and sound.

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/01/2020 11:53 am

I am about to change strings on my Seagull S6 slim which I bought last March and still has the original strings on it - I don't change strings often.

I am putting on D Dario 11 gauge flat wounds. Only because I have these on 2 other guitars and like the feel of them. In fact I would say for me, they rank a 10 only because I like playing flat wounds more than any other.

I'll give you a sound sample before and after if you want it Herman.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/01/2020 2:52 pm
Originally Posted by: hsnoeckx

Hi, thought I wanted to see what strings people use on acoustic steel string guitars,

brand , kind and gauge and a number from 1 to 10 on satisfaction.

Just changed strings on my acoustic to Ernie Ball's earthwood strings gauge 10-50,

never had them before and never had a problem with other brands replacing strings until now, the balls on the end of the strings went very difficult ( litterally pushing with the string pin ) through the hole in the bridge, it looks like the rings at the end are to big, as to sound they are good, not outstanding.

grasping bar chords goes like a breeze but I always had 12-57 gauge before so that is probably the reason, as to playability, not so good, to much friction from the wounded strings.

My number for these is a 7.

Herman

Currently I have Elixir Nano 13s and I hate them. I've had them on my Taylor for a couple of years but never really bothered to change guage etc. I just bought the Ball Earthwound 10s so I'll see for myself too. I wanted a lighter guage. Those Elixir 13s are brutal.

# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
10/01/2020 3:17 pm

I've been using Elixir Nano 13's on my dreadnaught for more than a decade and I've never given much consideration to strings... I've got a whole lot more to worry about when I'm playing.

But some months ago I ended up wiith a couple sets of light 12's. It's been a while since I changed strings and, given JeffS65's comments, I'm looking forward to trying out the lighter gauge, "medium" to "light."

For now, I'm skeptical I'll feel the difference but concerned I'll hear a difference. Still, given the age of my current strings I won't be able to ascribe the sound change... different gauge or just new strings?

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
manXcat
manXcat
10/01/2020 8:25 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65Those Elixir 13s are brutal.

My own limited exposure to coated Elixirs, acoustic and electric, I found the same. Not a fan. [br][br]IDK why, but for supposedly identical spec. composition coated roundwound phosphor bronze of the same gauge as D'Addario EXP and numerous others I've tried, Elixir strings feel much harder on the fingers, equivalent gauge for gauge.

# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/01/2020 8:44 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

My own limited exposure to coated Elixirs, acoustic and electric, I found the same. Not a fan. [br][br]IDK why, but for supposedly identical spec. composition coated roundwound phosphor bronze of the same gauge as D'Addario EXP and numerous others I've tried, Elixir strings feel much harder on the fingers, equivalent gauge for gauge.

I've played forms of D'Addario's strings since, like '83. Until recently, all I would play (electric) were D'Addario XL 9s. Even now, for my electrics, I do D'Addario NYXL 9s or 10s (depends on the guitar). So, I'm a fan. Since I was going to ditch the Elixirs on my acoustic, I figured I try out the Ernie Ball stuff.

But good point, the Elixirs just are the hardest strings I've played that I can recall.

# 7
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
10/01/2020 10:25 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

I've played forms of D'Addario's strings since, like '83. Until recently, all I would play (electric) were D'Addario XL 9s. Even now, for my electrics, I do D'Addario NYXL 9s or 10s (depends on the guitar). So, I'm a fan. Since I was going to ditch the Elixirs on my acoustic, I figured I try out the Ernie Ball stuff.

But good point, the Elixirs just are the hardest strings I've played that I can recall.

Me thinks I've been missing something...

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 8
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
10/01/2020 11:57 pm

I am in love with the way Martin Silk and Steels feel. I am less in love with how they sound -- they always seem to sound a little out of tune -- so I'm looking for something that feels like them but sounds better.

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 9
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
10/02/2020 1:38 am

Fan of D'Addario exp16 on my guild. D'Addario 11s pb bronze on my 12 fret. Or, GHS lights on the 12 fret guitar.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 10
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
10/02/2020 2:00 am
Originally Posted by: faith83

I am in love with the way Martin Silk and Steels feel. I am less in love with how they sound -- they always seem to sound a little out of tune -- so I'm looking for something that feels like them but sounds better.

what kind of guitar do you have? Did it come with the Martin strings or a different type? Just curious. I had martins and did not care for the tone on my guitar. It's why I went back to the exp16s. I did change the bridge pins to bone (the Guild came with plastic bridge pins.). When I went back to the exp16s, I got the tone I was seeking-just an enhancement of the original tone.

2021 Iris CH

# 11
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
10/02/2020 2:02 am
Originally Posted by: Sasha-B

what kind of guitar do you have? Did it come with the Martin strings or a different type? Just curious. I had martins and did not care for the tone on my guitar. It's why I went back to the exp16s. I did change the bridge pins to bone (the Guild came with plastic bridge pins.). When I went back to the exp16s, I got the tone I was seeking-just an enhancement of the original tone.

I have a Fender CS60 -- I'm not super in love with it, but it will do for now... I was so happy to find the S&S's and so sad when they didn't quite work... I also don't use a pick so I think the combination of the S&Ss with nekkid fingers was maybe not so good...

PS -- it came with anonymous strings... I have no idea which ones they were, though I wasn't in love with them, and they are long gone!

# 12
manXcat
manXcat
10/02/2020 2:36 am
Originally Posted by: faith83I have a Fender CS60

Fender fit their guitars with their own brand strings. IDK if they are rebadged OEM. Your CD-60 originally came fitted with .12s. Fender Dura-Tone 880L Coated 80/20

[br]Sorry about the Fender AU hotlink. Fender's site geolocates regardless VPN IP. It should similarly reorientate and geolocate for you. I can't execute to tell from here.

You might like to be adventurous and give these or these a try in your preferred gauge. I prefer the EJ16 uncoated, Sasha-B likes the EXP16 coated. Not to dismiss from others' preferences, but you just might like them. A lot of people do.

Tone wise there is a remarkable tonal difference between those two. I've used both, prefering the EJs, although the EXPs will last considerably longer between changes but cost more so it works out neither here nor there. Feel, they're different too, but that's a very individual preference IME.

# 13
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
10/02/2020 3:08 am

You might like to be adventurous and give these or these a try in your preferred gauge. I prefer the EJ16 uncoated, Sasha-B likes the EXP16 coated. Not to dismiss from others' preferences, but you just might like them. A lot of people do.

Tone wise there is a remarkable tonal difference between those two. I've used both, prefering the EJs, although the EXPs will last considerably longer between changes but cost more so it works aout enither here nor there. Feel, they're different too, but that's a very individual preference IME.

Thank you! I'm about due for new strings -- I will check them out. The hunt continues... I have D'ddario light gauge on now, but I'm not a fan.I don't think they're the ones you mentioned though, so it's worth a try. It might be that I'm just not a fan of this guitar. I bought a budget one because after buying and selling twice before, I wasn't sure it would stick this time around, but it has and now I'm wishing I'd bought the Martin that I really wanted... sigh...

# 14
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
10/02/2020 4:11 pm

Tone wise there is a remarkable tonal difference between those two. I've used both, prefering the EJs, although the EXPs will last considerably longer between changes but cost more so it works aout enither here nor there. Feel, they're different too, but that's a very individual preference IME.

Thank you! I'm about due for new strings -- I will check them out. The hunt continues... I have D'ddario light gauge on now, but I'm not a fan.I don't think they're the ones you mentioned though, so it's worth a try. It might be that I'm just not a fan of this guitar. I bought a budget one because after buying and selling twice before, I wasn't sure it would stick this time around, but it has and now I'm wishing I'd bought the Martin that I really wanted... sigh...

once I knew I was going to stick with it a few years ago, I requested money to go to a new guitar. I'm glad I did because, with more experience as a player, I knew what I wanted and what I did not want in an acoustic. if you are close to the NH border-Manchester Music Mill carries a varied selection of guitars when the time is right. Plus, no sales tax!

the great thing about strings is that they are a cheap modification. and i do like the EJ16s as well, the EXP16s are a tad more pleasant to my ears. again, personal preference.

2021 Iris CH

# 15
mjgodin
mjgodin
10/02/2020 4:37 pm

>> if you are close to the NH border-Manchester Music Mill carries a varied selection of guitars when the time is right. Plus, no sales tax!

That's where I bought my Breedlove Discovery. They have tons of them plus the assorted Martins,Taylors and Guilds. You can't go wrong with any of them Faith. That store I think caters more to the local professionals that play in the area, but you can still get some good deals there as well as Guitar Center which is not much further.

Let me know if either of you go there and we can meet up. I'm only a couple of miles from them.

As for strings I use I've been pretty happy with D'Addario and Ernie Balls, both in light gauge, but I really think a better quality guitar with solid wood top makes the difference. All solid wood if you can afford it. That puts you in the higher Taylor, Martin and Breedloves bracket.

Moe

# 16
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
10/02/2020 7:38 pm

For what it`s worth, I just switched out my strings on my acoustic to D`Addario phosphor bronze EJ 16 light guage .012-.053 and they feel and sound great ! Thanks to ManX ( and others) who recommended these strings. That`s what makes these forums so enjoyable and useful.

# 17
manXcat
manXcat
10/02/2020 8:38 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback that you found the info useful. WIN! that you found strings which work for you Moose.

Changing strings frequently provided me with the opportuntity to experiment until I hit the happy compromise and standardised buying in bulk. So I've tried a few over the past 2½ years. [br][br]Might well be out there, but I've yet to discover strings which tick the boxes I like more.

# 18
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
10/02/2020 9:17 pm
Originally Posted by: moosehockey18

For what it`s worth, I just switched out my strings on my acoustic to D`Addario phosphor bronze EJ 16 light guage .012-.053 and they feel and sound great ! Thanks to ManX ( and others) who recommended these strings. That`s what makes these forums so enjoyable and useful.

Easy for you to say!

-- Chet Atkins
# 19
Herman10
Herman10
10/18/2020 12:13 am

Review the Ernie Ball strings, after only 18 days the thicker strings sound like rubber and not bright at all any more although I weep my strings every time after playing, so no longer a 7 but a 5 on 10 for me.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.