View post (Matt from Arizona)

View thread

mattpcollins
Full Access
mattpcollins
Full Access
09/22/2020 2:53 am

Hey you all

My name is Matt, I joined this site a few weeks ago. I've been at the guitar now for about a year and a half, but I'm still in the beginner phase. I took some lessons locally for about 5 months. He was a good teacher who graduated from the Guitar Institute in Los Angeles. But then he couldn't teach ouf his house anymore, and then along came the big flu anyway.

So this Guitar Tricks is perfect right now. I'm unemployed right now so I have plenty of time to work through the lessons and practice. It's almost as good as private lessons and way more convenient and affordable. I started at the beginning with Lisa McCormick's lessons. But I can't wait to get into the rock lessons, and of course the cover songs.

My equipment:

Lately I've been practicing on my cheap Chinese made Ibanez Gio. But my real gem is this Mexican made Jackson Dinky Superstrat. It has an alder body, Seymore Duncan pickups, and a Floyd Rose locking tremolo system. The color is spectaular, they call it Rocket Red, it's like a neon reddish orange, with a high gloss urethane finish. It's normally a $900 guitar but I scored it on clearance at Sam Ash for $599! Of course I had to get a nice case for it. I know the guitar is a little high end for my level, but I'll grow into it. I plan on utilizing that Floyd Rose, as I love 80s era "glam" metal. Lots of 2 handed tapping too.

I've been practicing through a little Line 6 Pocket Pod and cheap headphones. But I'll get a little practice amp eventually, maybe that Yamaha THR10X.

I live in Phoenix, AZ. Once I get a little better I want to find some friends to jam with. Maybe I'll meet them on this board even. I'm 46 but I don't look it, I don't have any kids or too much responsibility. I just want to to learn to shred on my guitar, that's my main goal in life right now.