View post (pitch change while changing chords or scales)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/15/2020 2:44 pm

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: devy99

It seems that whenever I change between some chords, particularily when say for example I am playing half notes, that there is a noticeable change in pitch of the strings.[/quote][p]Is this pitch change up or down. I'm assuming up, but asking for clarification.

Slight pitch changes up are usually from one of 2 possible sources:

1. String height.

2. Fretting too hard.

If your strings are set too high (high action) then normal fretting can cause the strings to sound sharp (too high in pitch). Even if you strings have good action, sometimes beginners tend to press the strings too hard when fretting notes & that causes the notes to be a little sharp.

But the odd thing here is that you mention it happens when you strum. So, that leave the 3 option.

3. Strumming too hard.

If you dig in too much with the pick it's possible to pull the string sharp.

Try a lighter fretting & strumming technique to see if this corrects the problem. You want aim for using only enough pressure to make the note sound when you fret. Too much is wasted effort & can make the notes sharp.

Same with strumming. You want to just graze the strings. Don't dig in too much. and it helps if you angle the pick in order to graze the strings.

Originally Posted by: devy99This is more evident with some chords such as the open d or b minor for example. So for example I will downstrum for a half bar, then change and second strum for the last half.

Are you saying the second strum is an UP strum motion? If so, then this might be due to digging in too far when strumming.

[quote=devy99]As for my scales, going up is no problem as I am adding fingers to ones already placed down on the string until I change strings or when I descend the scales where I have no fingers already covering. It seems more evident with electric guitar . Because of thinner strings and amp? How can I get rid of this change of pitch sound?

That sounds like too high action or fretting too hard.

Can you post a short audio or video example?

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory