View post (Next level)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/27/2020 11:24 am
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

I am curious what it is about the Godin neck that works so well for you. Shape? Size? Or is it just feel?

That's a good question Dave, because it is a combination of shapes and sizes as well as feel.

The neck width at the nut is just between my Yamaha Pacifica and my Ibanez Gio at just shy of 42mm. So not a narrow neck but not as wide as the Ibanez. But like the Ibanez I would describe the profile as being flatter vs fatter. The neck is maple with a flat finish that never makes my hand hang up like on my Les Paul copies which have high gloss finishes. The action is really low and the guitar requires so little pressure to play it is really a treat. One thing I did do this morning is compare the frets to some other guitars. I would say here Godin has done a better job of polishing and rounding off the frets. For instance when I do a slide on the Godin my fingers slide easily over the frets whereas on the Pacifica I can feel some grabbing. And when I look at the differences between the 2 guitars, I would describe the Pacifica as having less rounded fret profiles and not nearly as polished.

And I find the strat body type very comfortable to hold with the exception of the Ibanez, which has too many square sharp edges. But since I picked up the Ibanez on the cheap I may take my router to those edge profiles and round them off.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!