It's all over now - the stretch!!!!

andrew.colomb
Full Access
andrew.colomb
Full Access
08/15/2020 3:16 pm

Hi Mike. Help!!!

I love playing this song and I keep thinking that one day I will be able to do the stretch in "Guitar 1 during solo" but I have to say that I'll never be able to do it with these small hands!!! Is there any other solution please?

I love Status Quo songs but I generally have the same problem.

Thanks so much for the great lessons.

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
08/15/2020 4:45 pm

When I do a steatch, it helps to rotate my left wrist counter clock wise. It increases the distance you can reach. Probaly not a good position for most things, but I find it useful when I need to make a LARGE stretch.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/16/2020 12:53 pm

Hey Andrew!! I know how frustrating this can be!!

Here's an alternative solution: Try playing the rhythm parts an octave up. So you would be playing off a G power chord with the root at the 10th fret of the A string. This will make it easier to do the stretch, since the frets are closer together. You can grab the C and D chords at the 8th fret of the low E string and 10th fret of the low E string respectively.

And now to working on your stretching ability: let's turn this riff into a practice exercise. Take that G power chord and move it up the neck and find the spot where you can play the riff with the stretch. Now - move down the fretboard one fret at a time and find where it becomes harder to make that stretch. This is the zone you should practice the riff for a few minutes each practice session. With lots of repetition, you'll loosen those hand muscles up enough to start moving back down the neck towards the 3rd fret for the G chord.

Make sense?!

Also, thanks to SnoJones for jumping in with a great suggestion. It is always encouraged to experiment with wrist and thumb placement to find the optimal position to play a riff like this!!!

Hope this helps - let me know how it goes!!

Mike

Originally Posted by: andrew.colomb

Hi Mike. Help!!!

I love playing this song and I keep thinking that one day I will be able to do the stretch in "Guitar 1 during solo" but I have to say that I'll never be able to do it with these small hands!!! Is there any other solution please?

I love Status Quo songs but I generally have the same problem.

Thanks so much for the great lessons.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 3
andrew.colomb
Full Access
andrew.colomb
Full Access
08/16/2020 1:13 pm

Hi Mike and SnoJones

Thank you so very much and Mike thank you so much for your comprehensive answer!

Yes, it certainly makes sense. I'm going to have a go at this as soon as possible.

It is so frustrating when you can manage most intermediate things but get stuck by a basic skill. I often think I wish I could have been blessed with having long fingers instead of being so handsome and wealthy!!!! Hahahahaha, that is a joke! I am neither lolz.

Once again, thank you so much!!!

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.