View post (I need some advice)

View thread

craigbrown1805
Full Access
craigbrown1805
Full Access
07/25/2020 3:53 pm

I was tempted to jump to the more advanced stuff, purely because it looked more fun and I had fooled myself that I could remember and do more than I really could. Thankfully, good sense prevailed, for a change, and I've been ploughing diligently through the First Foundations course. Am I enjoying it? Yes and no.

No, because it's showing up how poor my guitar playing is! I'm currently tholing Three Days, trying to get a consistent change between A and B7 and the slide from C#m to B7, even though I don't really care for the song. I spent an hour and a bit working on it, the tips of my fingers on my left hand are sore and I don't feel I've cracked it yet. It is just one of those things.

Yes, because I've made a lot of progress since I've started, I have doubled my musical knowledge, which has helped significantly, and I can see that, as long as I stick with it, within the next couple of months I should be well on the road to reaching a reasonable level of competence. Personally, I'm looking forward to getting to scales - something I never quite understood how they worked, or put the work in to understand them, back when I was a teenager and was one of the reasons gave up.

Given the wealth of information and tution on offer here, I think it would be daft not to at least give it a try before you move to more advanced stuff.