View post (I need some advice)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/20/2020 5:26 pm
Originally Posted by: fusionpnt1

but after all this time I don't feel like I really "know" how to play guitar.

It won't hurt you to go through the fundamentals as pointed out, but it sounds like you are missing "how all the pieces fit together".

For example, if I were to ask if you could put together a litte something from the key of C, would you know what chords make up the key of C?

If you were jamming with friends and they told you they were in the key of "whatever", would you know the relative minor or major scales to solo with would be? Or would you to be able to determine what notes should sound good based upon the chord progression?

These are not critieques. Once I began grasping the concept of playing guitar and started delving into theory, things began making a lot more sense to me. For this year I am focussed on putting intellectual learning into smooth practical practice. Long term my goal would to be to play like some of the chums I have who have decades more experience than me, and always seem to know what to play and play it seemlessly. That is a long term goal, but I am moving towards it step by step.

This site is good to get you started and then to take you further, but going further requires knowing what to look for, or at least what questions to ask, and knowing where to find it. Christopher Schlegel has a tremendous lesson library to help along with of this, but I am not sure what is available to a registered user. You may have to be a paying member to access some of these lessons.

If, as a registered user, you have access to Christopher's forum, I would start there and post the question to him.

Good luck

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!