View post (Exausted, injured, and still cannot play chords)

View thread

moosehockey18
moosehockey18
07/20/2020 2:05 am
Originally Posted by: lee05503

I think I'm about ready to quit, I cannot even get off the ground to start, and have injured my fingers and wrist multiple times with sprains. I simply cannot make chords needed to play guitar, my fingers are too short and I cannot make them space out far enough no matter how hard I force them and pull them, and my fingers are also too fat and block out the strings above and below them. Let's say for example a chord required me to have fingers on frets 1 and 4, my fingers cannot come close to reaching that far. My fingers are so short I'm having to bend the finger and place the back side of the entire finger nail on strings to hold them down. My middle finger is three inches long, the others fall in the 2 inch range on my left hand. [br][br]If my hands are the wrong size and I cannot make chords I might as well just pawn the guitar and quit. I don't know what to do at this point.

Hi there,

There has already been quite a few good responses with many good tips so I`ll just add this. Find a good, reputable guitar shop near you. Explain your situation to them and see if they can work with your guitar to make it more playable. If not, they may work out a trade in or some kind of buyback and get you fitted with a guitar that you can play rather than have it continually fight against you. Guitars come in all sizes, widths and lengths and they can even be customized if need be. Getting the right guitar in your hands is half the battle right there !

That being said, this is quite a challenging instrument to learn to play. As the old saying goes, if it were easy everyone would be doing it ! However, the payoff is worth it. It`s immensly satisfying once you begin to acquire the skills to play. The toughest part is the beginning. As you get better, it actually gets more fun and the more you learn, the more you WANT to learn.

Good luck,

Jeff