C and G maj scale and individual notes

vanrooy.gert
vanrooy.gert
07/07/2020 6:46 pm

Hi!

I just started out with Guitar fund2 and am currently practicing playing both C and G major scales in the open position.

Out of interest i jotted down the individual notes in both scales and noticed that, in Cmaj, they are indeed:

C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C. Which makes total sense to me.

Gmaj, however, results in these notes:

G - A - B - C - D - E - F# - G, with an F# instead of F. Why is that?? I mean, it sounds totally correct, but I'm still confused ;)

Rgds,

Gert.

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
07/07/2020 6:56 pm
Originally Posted by: vanrooy.gert

Hi!

I just started out with Guitar fund2 and am currently practicing playing both C and G major scales in the open position.

Out of interest i jotted down the individual notes in both scales and noticed that, in Cmaj, they are indeed:

C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C. Which makes total sense to me.

Gmaj, however, results in these notes:

G - A - B - C - D - E - F# - G, with an F# instead of F. Why is that?? I mean, it sounds totally correct, but I'm still confused ;)

Rgds,

Gert.

Hey Vanrooy,

Very good that you're running into that. It's because the major scale (regardless of where you start) is made up of a series of Whole Steps and Half-Steps:

W-W-H-W-W-W-H

Starting on G, a whole step up is A, another whole step up is B, half step up is C, etc.

If you did not use F# there, it would be F Natural, throwing off the pattern. (In that case it would be W-W-H-W-W-H-W, which would be G Mixolydian Mode.)

Each major scale has a different amount of sharps or flats, on certain notes.

Going around the cicle of firths, D Major has TWO sharps (F# and C#). A Major has THREE sharps (F#, C#, G#).

F Major has ONE FLAT (Bb). Bb Major has TWO FLATS (Bb, Eb).

These are called Key Signatures. You can either memorize them, or you can go the long way and work them all out by using the pattern of W-W-H-W-W-W-H.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
vanrooy.gert
vanrooy.gert
07/07/2020 9:51 pm

That made a lot of sense!

Thanks, Carl!

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.