New Drum kit

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/28/2020 1:18 pm

So Carl and Jeff,

Here is the new kit. I have it running into one of our pa heads and I am pretty happy with the sound. My son has an acoustic kit and they definitely carry the cool factor, but for my purposes, e drums are the right thing - right now.

I will be looking into those suggestions you both provided but that will be later on. Goal 1 is to incorporate drum learning into my daily practice routine and become smooth enough on a simple pattern to record that song for my wife.

Good luck with your purchase Jeff and thanks again to both of you for the input.

https://youtu.be/pPnR02NzH-U

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/28/2020 2:40 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

Here is the new kit. I have it running into one of our pa heads and I am pretty happy with the sound. My son has an acoustic kit and they definitely carry the cool factor, but for my purposes, e drums are the right thing - right now.

[p]Congrats! Those look & sounds great. My drummer friend from back in my old band days now has a Roland V-drum kit & it's wonderful.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/28/2020 3:04 pm

Thanks Chris. A new learning curve has begun!

# 3
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
06/29/2020 6:33 pm

That's a nice new bit of kit William, I used to have an electric drum kit myself and loved playing it, I wish I still had it tbh.

I used to link it to my laptop via midi and run it through Steven Slate Drums so I could change the sounds to any kit and also record direct into Reaper with it, great fun!!!!

# 4
rsg.gill
rsg.gill
06/29/2020 7:00 pm

William,

What resources are you using to learn drums?

My wife bought a Yamaha DTX400K with a Simmons DA50 monitor a few years back. I added a foot pedal, a kick tower and a high hat controller pedal to it. I can play simple beats but I want to get better which is why I am interested in what you are doing.

Yesterday I tried to work on Mary Jane's Last Dance. The open high hat and kick on the "and of 3" gets me every time!

Ron

# 5
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
06/29/2020 7:00 pm

Hey William, that's great! Thanks for sharing the video.

Looks like there are probably some basic drum-positioning and posture things that can be tweaked there, not sure if you are interested in that or not.

Congratulations on getting the kit up and running -- it sounds like a very low-latency setup (good). Some kits will get you very strange flamming sounds, and yours doesn't seem to have that.

Cool stuff.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 6
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/29/2020 7:13 pm
Originally Posted by: fuzzb0x

That's a nice new bit of kit William, I used to have an electric drum kit myself and loved playing it, I wish I still had it tbh.

I used to link it to my laptop via midi and run it through Steven Slate Drums so I could change the sounds to any kit and also record direct into Reaper with it, great fun!!!!

Thanks Fuzz

# 7
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/29/2020 7:15 pm
Originally Posted by: rsg.gill

William,

What resources are you using to learn drums?

My wife bought a Yamaha DTX400K with a Simmons DA50 monitor a few years back. I added a foot pedal, a kick tower and a high hat controller pedal to it. I can play simple beats but I want to get better which is why I am interested in what you are doing.

Yesterday I tried to work on Mary Jane's Last Dance. The open high hat and kick on the "and of 3" gets me every time!

Ron

Hi Ron,

I am actually exploring online lessons now. So far I like what I hear from "Stephensdrumshed.com"

He claims to have a step by step approach that builds lesson upon lesson. I will let you know what I go with once I decide and how I like it.

# 8
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/29/2020 7:22 pm
Originally Posted by: Carl King

Hey William, that's great! Thanks for sharing the video.

Looks like there are probably some basic drum-positioning and posture things that can be tweaked there, not sure if you are interested in that or not.

Congratulations on getting the kit up and running -- it sounds like a very low-latency setup (good). Some kits will get you very strange flamming sounds, and yours doesn't seem to have that.

Cool stuff.

-Carl.

Thanks Carl, I will mention it my son, he is the one drumming, but he hasn't drummed in a couple of years. He prefers being the front man now for his band when they play.

But I definately have posture issues and my timing between left hand, right hand and kick is way off, but with practice it will get better.

# 9
vincentbell737
vincentbell737
08/02/2023 10:48 am

Congratulations on getting your new drum kit, even if it's been three years since you shared this post. E drums can offer a wide range of sounds and the convenience of practicing without disturbing the neighbors. I hope you've had a fantastic time exploring its capabilities and honing your drumming skills.
Since it's been a while, I'm curious to know if you eventually delved into the suggestions provided by Carl and Jeff. Exploring different options and experimenting with various sounds can open up new dimensions in your drumming journey.
Moreover, if you ever decided to explore other percussion instruments during this time, a bodhrán could be an exciting addition. Its unique style and rhythmic beats can complement your drumming, adding a touch of traditional Irish charm to your music.

edited
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.