View post (Palm Muting and Alternate Picking HELP please)

View thread

wwjndjk
wwjndjk
06/27/2020 10:53 pm
Originally Posted by: snojones

I am facinated by muting. It is the key to really unlocking the full voice of the instrument. I have always been amazed at how great guitarists can get so much tonal varriation into a single line. It is the same insturment making sounds like a xylophone on one beat, then a saxophone on the next beat, then an couple of percussive drum tones, then a fully voiced couple of notes, finishing out with a chord and harmonics ect, ect. In my opinion guitar has an incredible range of tonal color possible and I am finding that muting in all it's forms is a big key to unlocking this vast pallette.

You are on the track of a powerful melodic potential. Don't get frustrated and give up! If you really want to make a guitar sing... keep working on muting. This techique has kept me avidly working for the last few years. So far it has been a very eye opening pursuit. NOT A SIMPLE ONE (in fact some of the fingering involved in muting a riff a can be EXTREMELY complicated!) , BUT A VERY LIBERATING ONE. I have learned about it through lessons here on Guitar Tricks, so you are in the rigtht place. Follow Fuzzbox's suggestions on the Mutting Lessons, available here on GT.

The pursuit of perfection is paved with patient persistance.

For sure! One of the most nuanced skills and sounds of the guitar. I will be mastering this everyday for years to come.