View post (picking issues)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/27/2020 12:04 pm

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: kenroutledgeI am making good progress in particular my left hand is becoming more accurate and the tone from chords is a lot cleaner.[/quote]

That's good! Congrats.

Originally Posted by: kenroutledgeThe same cannot be said for my right hand!! When I pick with a plectrum and attempt to arpeggiate the accuracy is very poor.

Your picking hand has a lot more work to do & using a lot more precise motions. So first & foremost be patient with yourself.

[quote=kenroutledge]Could you suggest any lessons/drills/practice that would improve this technique as I feel once this improves I will be able to play several songs and make them sound good (as opposed to just strumming chords, which is not the level I want to be at)

Take any chord & make an arpeggio exercise out of it. Devote exclusive practice session time to just drilling one chord. For example, take the C major chord.

|--------------------------------------|[br]|-----------1----------------1--------|[br]|--------0----0----------0----0------|[br]|-----2----------2----2----------2---|[br]|--3----------------3-----------------|[br]|--------------------------------------|

1. Pick slowly & evenly with a light touch. Stay relaxed.

2. Use very small motions. Start strumming toward the floor on the first 3 notes, then hop over the B string & reverse direction going to the ceiling on the next 3 notes. Try to pick in the direction of the next string to be played.

3. Tilt the pick a little so it can more easily glide over the top of the strings. DO NOT dig in too far below the plane of the strings.

You can try different chords, different sets of strings or even permutations of the arpeggio pattern. For example G major:

|-----------3----------------3-------|[br]|--------0----0-----------0----0----|[br]|-----0----------0-----0---------0--|

|--------------------------------------|

|--------------------------------------|

|--3----------------3-----------------|

Or a different C major pattern:

|-----------------------------------|[br]|-----------1---------------1------|[br]|-----0-------0------0---------0--|[br]|--------2---------------2---------|[br]|--3--------------3----------------|[br]|-----------------------------------|

My old GF 2 course has a tutorial using arpeggio patterns.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=11241&s_id=448

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory