Whiskey River

anthm
anthm
05/25/2020 8:59 am

Hi Mike,

I,ve been concentrating on your Whiskey River Acoustic lesson. Great teaching, and I have found the limit of ability with this one, I can do the A section strumming up to tempo cant quite get the B section up to tempo but confident it will come.

Questions,

Q1) With the A section strum you teach like two small root note downs then a full down then two ups and a DUDU at the end, so (Root, Root D U U D U D U,) for some reason its more natural for me to do like (Root Root D D U U U DUDU), Am i doing it wrong? is it acceptable how I am doing it? I seem to fit it into the timing of one bar, maybe I,m creating a bad habit. Id be itereted in your take.

Q2) The accoustic blues type solo is definitly above my ability at the momnet and I would like to substitute it with a strum and chords, Should I do the kind of strum pattern in the A section or shoot for a boom chic pattren like in the B section, Also what would the chord progressions be? Its a bit strange , I,m out of my depth as the Bars in the TAB for the accoustic solo seem all over the shop. Can I substitute the acoustic solo with a strum and Chord progression?

Kind Regards

Anthony.

PS . I looked at private lessons with you today but our time zones dont match, times coincide with Hong Kong 11pm till 5 am type of thing, may I ask what time zone exactly you are on?

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/25/2020 3:20 pm

Hi Anthony - thanks so much for your detailed questions!

1) My advice is to slow down the section and really work to match your strums to the correct downstrokes and upstrokes that I'm playing. It is difficult to know whether the way you are doing it is correct with respect to the timing.

The idea is that the pulse of the song is DUDU for each "beat" - and there are 4 of those beats in each measure. So you have to be sure that you are correctly matching a strum with the correct stroke to make sense with the timing. If you are not, it might throw your timing off.

Check out this lesson from the acoustic course:

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=28973&s_id=2454

Anders is teaching a different strum pattern, but the way he teaches you to learn a strum correctly is what you should focus on. I recommend applying the way that he works on this to the strum in Whisky River.

2) For the solo section, it uses the exact progression from the A section, so go ahead and strum along in the part with the same A section strumming pattern on your acoustic.

As for my 1on1 hours, I'm in central time zone in the USA, and unfortunately I only have availability Mon-Sat during business hours.

I hope this helps - please let me know how it goes!!

Mike

Originally Posted by: anthm

Hi Mike,

I,ve been concentrating on your Whiskey River Acoustic lesson. Great teaching, and I have found the limit of ability with this one, I can do the A section strumming up to tempo cant quite get the B section up to tempo but confident it will come.

Questions,

Q1) With the A section strum you teach like two small root note downs then a full down then two ups and a DUDU at the end, so (Root, Root D U U D U D U,) for some reason its more natural for me to do like (Root Root D D U U U DUDU), Am i doing it wrong? is it acceptable how I am doing it? I seem to fit it into the timing of one bar, maybe I,m creating a bad habit. Id be itereted in your take.

Q2) The accoustic blues type solo is definitly above my ability at the momnet and I would like to substitute it with a strum and chords, Should I do the kind of strum pattern in the A section or shoot for a boom chic pattren like in the B section, Also what would the chord progressions be? Its a bit strange , I,m out of my depth as the Bars in the TAB for the accoustic solo seem all over the shop. Can I substitute the acoustic solo with a strum and Chord progression?

Kind Regards

Anthony.

PS . I looked at private lessons with you today but our time zones dont match, times coincide with Hong Kong 11pm till 5 am type of thing, may I ask what time zone exactly you are on?

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
anthm
anthm
05/29/2020 11:00 am

Thanks Mike,

I,m a little slow to your reply, but thank you for your prompt reply. The Song is coming together for me minus the lead solo. Just need a little work on my timing and speed in part B, but all good its coming.

Thank you.

Regards

Anthony

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/29/2020 11:45 am

Excellent! Keep practicing, and it will come!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.