View post (Theory / guitar courses vs songs)

View thread

edb200
edb200
10/02/2020 3:55 am

I'm brand new to Guitar Tricks so I can't directly speak to their method but...

I basically signed up because I've been playing for 4 years and have realized that there's two pretty distinct schools of music teaching.

1. Learn Theory and technique before songs.

2. Learn songs and through osmosis, the theory and technique required to play those songs.

School one is the academic way. School 2 is the 'rock and roll' way. Or so it seems. My teacher for the past 4 years is very school 2 and while I can learn songs and perform them without fear, I can't just sit in with a band and jam. Because I feel like I need to be doing both. So I signed up here hoping the progression of these courses gives me School 1 while I work with my teacher on school 2.

That's a long way of getting to my recommendation. Which is to devote half your playing time to each school. Work on those scales, chord shapes, progressions etc.... Then work on a song and, ideally, one that utilizes what you just practiced. Or, if not a specific song, get with the jam modules and just improvise the theory you're learning with a looping backing band. With a blues focus and some time, you should be able to figure out what's working in these improv practice sessions and it'll help you recognize what you see in the songs.