View post (Theory / guitar courses vs songs)

View thread

Jake_22
Jake_22
05/18/2020 10:07 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: Jake_22

Hi, so I just went through the Guitar Fundamentals 1 and 2 and through half of Blues level 1. I tried learning a few songs on the side but they take me a enormous amount of time.[/quote][p]

Most of what you are asking is very individualistic & depends on the answers to these questions:

1. How long have you been playing?

2. How much knowledge & skill did you bring to learning guitar when you started GF1?

[/quote]

I've been playing for a total of about 6 months. Separate days of irregular practice that amounted to about 25 minutes per day for a month. then 4 months of 30 minutes per day and 2 weeks of 3 hours per day (where I'm at right now).

Regarding the skills I've brought when I started GF1 : close to none.

Regarding the knowledge : I knew about the idea behind major scale formula (tones and semitones).

[quote=ChristopherSchlegel][quote=Jake_22]

The 1minute and 15 seconds intro to Wish you were here : 17 hours (learned it during guitar fundamentals 1 as a side project)

The first 25 seconds of Tears in Heaven by Clapton : 6 hours. (last week)

Are these learning times even normal ?

[br]Sure, you are doing fine. Much faster than some students I've seen! But, everyone learns at their own pace. And more importantly are you enjoying it? Are you accomplishing what you want to with the guitar & music?
[p]

Yes I am ! I was just a bit annoyed at learning notes on tab by heart and not understanding why it all fits together so well, the underlying theory. And wondered if I'd learn the songs faster if I understood how they're made. And you answered yes to that ! I'm taking a deep dive on theory !

And thanks for giving me a feedback regarding the time I take to learn songs, I thought I had some serious problems with this awful ratio of something like 3 hours of practice that amounted to only 10 seconds of the actual song. Glad to know I'm not terribly behind and that this is normal. Since I have no one to compare me, I didn't know how I was doing.