blues key chord progression

chsiboni
chsiboni
05/08/2020 5:09 am

hi, im quite confused about the blues scale chord progression.

a) at andys lesson of texas blues intro :

intro to texas blues

the key is e - but i dont know if its major or minor

b) if i have a c major song and i want to play blues scale on it, should i use the blues scale from major root or minor?

thanks and sorry for my english

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/09/2020 3:08 pm
Originally Posted by: chsiboni

hi, im quite confused about the blues scale chord progression.

a) at andys lesson of texas blues intro :

intro to texas blues

the key is e - but i dont know if its major or minor[/quote][p]That's because a great deal of blues is typical a mixture of major & minor. This song is a great example.

The example Anders plays is fundamentally in E major. The chods are all straight from the E major scale: E (I) - A (IV) - B7 (V7). But there are also notes from the E minor scale added by using the minor 3rd & minor. Also you get the chromatic flat 5th as a passing tone.

This mixture of major scale chords as the foundation with minor scale notes used a ornamentation is the characteristic sound of blues. That's why it sounds like it does.

I explain this concept in this lesson that's part of a larger tutorial on learning basic blues chords & licks.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=9677&s_id=189

[quote=chsiboni]if i have a c major song and i want to play blues scale on it, should i use the blues scale from major root or minor?

It depends on the sound you want. Most blues uses only certain notes from each. If you stick with the pentatonic boxes then both major or minor work pretty well. It also depends on which chord is happening at the time!

I encourage you to try both just as an experiment to see what you like the sound of.

I cover soloing over blues for beginners in this tutorial.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=918

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.