I'd like the songs to tie in more to the theory

Old Bones
Full Access
Old Bones
Full Access
05/07/2020 7:25 am

I have seen it said on this site that you learn as much theory as you need as you progress through the lessons and I agree with that.

However, I have reached a point in my playing where I want to know more about how it all works from a theory point of view.

Having said that I am a great believer that the song lessons are the greatest tools.

What I would like is one more lesson in each song where the teacher goes into more depth as to how the relevant music theory is used in the song. Explain why the lick/chord progression works, give me a better understanding so I can take that knowledge and apply it to other songs and chord progressions. They could maybe even reference some of the other GT lessons where the concept is explored in more depth.

This might not be for everyone so if it was an additional lesson in the song you don't have to watch it.

Having just read my post back, I think this might give me more direction and context in my learning. I am blown away by the amount of lessons on the GT site and I doubt I will get through them in my guitar playing lifetime so I am probably looking for a way to identify what I should be learning next. For example, I am unlikely to launch into the lessons on inversions because I don't know what they are and when I will need them. However, if I am learning a song and it is pointed out to me that this is a particular inversion which makes is easy to do this.... and you can find out more about this in this XXX series of lessons. If I like what I am playing and want to know more - it gives me context and I have a bit more direction and purpose.

Cheers

Stephen J

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/07/2020 1:10 pm
Originally Posted by: stephen82I have seen it said on this site that you learn as much theory as you need as you progress through the lessons and I agree with that.[/quote]

Glad you see that!

Originally Posted by: stephen82However, I have reached a point in my playing where I want to know more about how it all works from a theory point of view.[/quote]

How it all works is a pretty big topic! :) I encourage you to work through my collection of tutorials on music theory. These will give you a foundation in the concepts of theory that you can apply to most any song.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/music-theory

Originally Posted by: stephen82Having said that I am a great believer that the song lessons are the greatest tools.[/quote]

Yes, songs are where the rubber meets the road!

[quote=stephen82]What I would like is one more lesson in each song where the teacher goes into more depth as to how the relevant music theory is used in the song.

While I like that idea, I'm not sure how easy that would be to implement. I know I've seen some song lessons in which the instructor goes into some detail about the theory aspects of the song. But I also know the primary objective of any song lesson is simply to teach the song.

[quote=stephen82]Explain why the lick/chord progression works, give me a better understanding so I can take that knowledge and apply it to other songs and chord progressions. They could maybe even reference some of the other GT lessons where the concept is explored in more depth.

Until that happens you can always ask on the forum. Ask the instructor. If they are not a current instructor, then ask me! I love to discuss theory.

And once you know what the idea is called, search for it on the site!

[quote=stephen82]For example, I am unlikely to launch into the lessons on inversions because I don't know what they are and when I will need them.

You never know until you try. And as long as you have access you are already paying for it. Most of the tutorials have a brief introduction lesson that explains what the tutorial is about, what it will cover, what to expect from working through it.

And I can guarantee you if you want to improve your guitar knowledge & playing, then triads & inversions are a great tool.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Old Bones
Full Access
Old Bones
Full Access
05/08/2020 2:21 am

Christopher,

As always, thanks for the detailed reply.

Cheers

Stephen J

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.