Lesson "Flying Fifths" : changing scale

Catafracta
Catafracta
04/30/2020 5:54 pm

Hi.

In the lesson "Flying Fifths" ( https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=20192&s_id=1590 ) , Anders starts playing in A major scale, but then he shifts to three frets higher in the fretboard to "get our minor sound". I guess he means by going three frets higher he's changing to the relative minor scale? (which for A major is F# minor). But then one of the notes he plays there is a C (5th fret of the G string), which is not part of F# scale. I am confused. Could someone clarify what is it that I'm misunderstanding? Thanks!

# 1
Herman10
Herman10
04/30/2020 11:53 pm

First he playes A and E note whereby the E note is the fifth of the A note then he shifts to C and G whereby the G note is the fifth of C. The backing track is in A minor which is the pararallel minor of C so must be a slip of the tong and the printing press.

I've seen more stuff here that the tabs aren't always correct or are what they actually play

and that can be confusing

Herman

# 2
Catafracta
Catafracta
05/01/2020 11:42 am

Hi!

Thanks for your answer :)

But I'm not that sure it's just a misspelling; the notes he starts playing really are from the A major scale. Specifically, this area

Then he moves it up 3 frets ( to move to its relative minor, I guess) , but then that doesn't make sense as the relative minor is F# , and some of the notes he plays are not in that scale. So I don't understand this transition to 3 frets up....

# 3
Catafracta
Catafracta
05/01/2020 11:44 am

This is the image I was trying to post in my last message:

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/01/2020 1:25 pm
Originally Posted by: Catafracta

In the lesson "Flying Fifths" ( https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=20192&s_id=1590 ) , Anders starts playing in A major scale, but then he shifts to three frets higher in the fretboard to "get our minor sound". I guess he means by going three frets higher he's changing to the relative minor scale?

[p]No, he means parallel minor. A major to A minor. Staying on the same root note but changing the chord or scale quality (major to minor, vice versa) is called parallel minor.

In this case Anders is simply demonstrating the sound of an interval of a 5th in A minor. He starts by referring to A major because that's what he does throughout the tutorial on intervals. Just to give you a consistent reference point. The distance from the A to the E is a 5th. Then to give you variety he also shows you a 5th interval from the C to the G (in A that's the minor 3rd to the minor 7th). He's showing you 2 different ways to visualize & play the 5th interval.

And since this is the Rock course he's presenting it in a rock style context. Mixing parallel keys is pretty common in a lot of rock music. You can look at it like A major to A minor, or A minor to C major.

The bass stays centered on the A throughout the track, so in this lesson it's all very much in A minor.

Although F# minor is the relative minor of A major there is no F# minor involved! Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
Catafracta
Catafracta
05/01/2020 3:20 pm

Thanks Chris!

Great explanation :)

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.