View post (Beginner's first blisters!)

View thread

teaganbyrnes
teaganbyrnes
04/17/2020 4:48 am

Hi everyone!

Like many of the newbies on here, I dusted my acoustic off to finally learn to play during quarantine. My schedule is still pretty stressful/full since I'm a dental student, but I was really inspired by a random comment on a Youtube video from a medical student saying that she picked up guitar to handle the stresses of medical school. I signed up for a year with GuitarTricks and I'm really excited where my guitar skills be by the end of this year!

I'm pretty disciplined with my practice, maybe almost too much. I'll do the spider exercise while on my Zoom class, and practice chord shapes and songs throughout the day - maybe a total of 1-2 hours of practice everyday? Though I've hit my first roadblock: blisters.

Any tips when dealing with blistered fingers? Being a new player (only started about 4 days ago), I'm worried if I don't practice for a few days that I'll lose the muscle memory foundation I've built up. I've heard some people say to stop playing, and others say to play through the pain. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!