Classical Guitar

OldSkoolPunk02
OldSkoolPunk02
10/24/2000 5:30 am
Starting in Jan. I gotta take some classes at the community colleged. They have a classical guitar class. Do you think it would help with my playing? I mean leads in stuff. I took it a year ago but it was a new teacher, so we didn't learn classical, but blues, and shred insted... Do you think it would be a good idea? Also do you think I would need a classical guitar? Would an electric work? Cus finger pickin is a b**** on an electric.. I should just take it I need some more music theroy(sp)...

------------------
Is it just me or does life suck? Maybe I suck and it just life? We shall never know...
Up with dope! Down with hope!
A guitar is like a woman, touch her right, and she shall sing.
Is it just me or does life suck? Maybe I suck and it just life? We shall never know...
Up with dope! Down with hope!
A guitar is like a woman, touch her right, and she shall sing.
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
10/24/2000 6:32 pm
the bass player in a band I had took the community college classical class. In that particular class, it was very orthodox classical nylon-string playing. He was doing the correct classical hand position and some really intense fingerpicking exercises. I was impressed with the pace of the class. It was really demanding.

If this class you are thinking of taking is the same (it probably will be totally different) you would be pretty frustrated with your electric. Also, if you are trying to play rock lead, this will teach you a lot that may not be so useful to you.

On the other hand, classical is really beautiful and that class would be fun.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2

10/24/2000 7:19 pm
You really should get an acoustic (preferably nylon string) to play classical guitar. Will it help your rock leads? It might give you some more melodic imagination, and the added bonus of theory alone will improve your improvising a lot. Like Jon said though, I think the best reason to take this class is to learn the fine art of classical guitar. It's a wonderfull style to play, and will increase your musical vocabulary.
# 3
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
10/24/2000 11:45 pm
I would strongly suggest buying a classical guitar. The neck is much wider, and fingerpicking is way easier with greater distance between the strings. As for rock leads, well it will develop your left hand technique, which can't hurt. Aside from that, the right hand stuff isn't too applicable to rock leads, but so what, rock leads aren't everything. If you ever get into jazz playing, having good fingerstyle technique will be invaluable if you want to play chord melody arrangements. Also, the classical stuff itself is very rewarding, because you can play it anywhere anytime, without a band. That's a problem I've found with rock, you really need a band for it to sound any good, otherwise you're just playing the guitar part to a song. With classical guitar you are the whole band, and it can be far more rewarding when playing alone.
# 4
Joseph
Joseph
10/28/2000 5:06 am
I learned how to play the guitar on a nylon acoustic, and it was a great first experience for me, It helped me gain great coordination with both of my hands, also helped me create alot of speed. As my result my playing has more fluidity to it, it was a very rewarding experience...

I have a 1950 Yamaha acoustic nylon string guitar that oroginally belonger to my mother, and it still plays great after all of these years...

------------------
Swoop and soar like tyhe blues angels...
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 5
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
10/28/2000 2:34 pm
i started learning guitar with nylon acustic and this was very helpful for me, because playing clasical stuff about a year didn't give me much speed, but i learned to used all my fingers, especialy the pinky... it was a very good base to the electric guitar
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.