View post (Distortion on Practice?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/25/2020 5:19 am
Originally Posted by: KLZ39

The other thing im sure now is that everything is too loud and too sensitive...[/quote][p]I agree. So now it's a singal chain question. What is your signal chain in these videos?

Earlier you mentioned both a Vox Amplug & an Orange Micro Crush amp. What order are you plugging in your equipment? Are you plugging the Vox into the Orange? If not, then what are you plugging the Vox into? [br][br]If you are only plugging the Vox in, then whatever you are plugging it into might be turned up too loud. For example a computer & you need to turn the out of the Vox down, or the input of the computer down.

Also, I'm not sure the Vox metal version is the best for beginner material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X58p-QgK3vY

Originally Posted by: KLZ39having the action high, it need to go really down to sound right, and pressing the string fast to travel that distance on the rythm will make it smash into the fret making a tapping sound.[br]im aware that is kinda normal to have little noises like that that are covered by the picked note but still i dont think is normal to be so loud[/quote]

Early in the vids when you are just touching, grazing the strings that actually sounds pretty normal for an electric guitar. And it sounds like you need to mute the strings to stop unwanted noises.

But then later when you start strumming chords it's way to overdriven, the signal is too hot from that Vox metal amplug. And, or you also have the amplug plugged into the Orange amp with the gain turn on, or up too high.

If you have an Orange Micro Crush amp, then just plug straight into it, turn it down low on a clean setting. Watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ym7BGobYPY

There are apparently 2 kinds of Orange Crush Mini amps. Both are in this video. This thing can get a wide variety of tones. At the beginning of the video are a lot of overdriven tones. That sounds a lot like what you have going on. Trying to play simple basic chords with way too much gain.

At 2:32 of the video are a bunch of beautiful clean tones & you can see the settings on the amps. See if you can just plug your guitar into the amp. Try those settings, turn your guitar volume on like 5. Make sure the overdrive button is OFF.

[quote=KLZ39]

VoxAmplug settings:[br]Volume 4 out of 10[br]Gain 1[br]Tone 1[br]no FX

That's good to know. But if it's the metal one, then it's probably going to be to loud & overdriven for ANY and ALL beginner material.

[quote=KLZ39]Is this normal? its the normal behaivor of an electric guitar?

At the beginning of your video, yes. All electric guitars plugged into amps (especially with overdrive) are somewhat to extremely sensitive & you have to do a lot of work muting with both hands to stop unwanted noise until you can just make the notes sound that you want.

Do you watch my muting tutorial?

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory