View post (Distortion on Practice?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/21/2020 1:24 pm

I want to start by saying I'm sorry this is so frustrating for you. If you can bear with a few more questions, then maybe we can help you sort all this out! You might want to post a video with sound demonstrating the issues that are troubling you. That would probably help us sort out what's a real equipment problem versus what is just normal beginning learning problems.

Originally Posted by: KLZ39The thing i just notice is that no matter what setting i try, fretting a note will ring the note... if that make any sense, sometimes just the slightlest press will make it sound[/quote]

This is kind of an odd statement. The point of fretting a note is so that it will sound. Electric guitars can be much more sensitive, because they can be amplified!

So, part of the issue here may be that you need to work on muting with your fretting hand palm which stops the strings from ringing until you want them to ring. And often the slight difference in timing between when you fret the note & then pick it can result in unwanted sound when you are a beginner.

The point here is that it might be a beginner technique issue that is just something you have to gradually practice until you get better at coordinating your fretting hand and you picking hand.

Check out this tutorial on muting, especially the first part on beginner level muting.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2281

Originally Posted by: KLZ39On fundamentals so far we have almost not deal with an electric more than the obvious things so i dont know if it is a matter of technic and will get on that later or if i wont be able to get this to work till i get a better equipment[/quote]

Good question. That would be where a picture or video of your technique & guitar would be helpful.

[quote=KLZ39]...and that let me to the other idea i have, could this be because the action is too high? because fretting a chord is a finger cutting pleasure with this thing after we have to ajust the truss rot because half of the neck was buzzing like hell

That's hard to say without knowing how high the action is. Who adjusted the truss rod? It is very possible adjusting the truss rod could make the action too high (or too low). Often when the truss rod is adjusted you also have to compensate by adjusting the bridge saddles which make a huge difference in action.

Finally cheap guitars often have poorly cut nuts as well which makes fretting difficult. You also mentioned the electronics were bad, but I'm not sure how you determined that.

If you haven't already I strongly encourage you to take it to a reliable guitar shop. If nothing else, go try some other guitars & see if you have the same trouble with any other guitars.

[quote=KLZ39]I try to find info about this but everything i got was fret buzz stuff and the usual "its gonna go away by itself... like a miracle" kind of BS im tired to hear

Without more observational evidence about your technique or the guitar it's impossible for us to know or say how to help.

It could even be some of both! Sorry for you frustration. Keep trying to find a solution!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory