View post (Distortion on Practice?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/24/2020 12:54 pm
Originally Posted by: KLZ39[br]Probably the worst i could get...

A Dean Vendetta made in china, that happens to have the worst electronic connections i have seen in my life.[/quote][p]Any electric guitar is fine for learning. As long as you can keep it in tune, it has decent action & it works, then it will be fine to learn on. Is this your model guitar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7JcwFyNyys

That guy is getting a decent clean tone. manXcat gave you some great advice on trying to set the Vox plug in to get a clean tone. Hopefully that will get you there.

Originally Posted by: KLZ39I call myself an inconsistent beginner, i can play some simple things but know nothing of the basics... typical YT student i guess, but yeah im still on fundamentals[/quote]

Get a clean tone & work on the fundamentals.

Originally Posted by: KLZ39This is the kind of things why i join this site, i've heard people say a thoundsand times that it happens all as a whole... like miracle or something

Nope. No miracles. Just a lot of repetitious practice. With a clean tone. :)

[quote=KLZ39]Im more into Rock/Metal kind of music but for now just playing anything makes me happy

Rock & metal require an overdrive tone and different physical techniques to play. I'm glad to hear you are happy to play anything. Because it will benefit you to start by working on the basics.

[quote=KLZ39]I know, but its hard when you dont know and many people say different things. My resolution was learn and practice unplugged and just one in a while connect the amPlug to see how it sounds just to find that it dont go near as i expect

Sorry for your frustrations! I think you need to be patient with yourself & know that if you practice basic technique with a clean tone you will improve. :)[br][br]Once you get into the rock course, then you can try a little bit of gain (distortion) tone. A little goes a long way. It can be surprising how little distortion is necessary to get a great rock or metal tone. At the core of any tone is solid playing technique.

Hope this helps! Keep practicing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory