View post (Distortion on Practice?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
03/21/2020 11:10 pm

I figured you had an amPlug programmed for [u]high gain distortion[/u]. It's almost impossible to effect a totally true clean with that if it's anything like my similar Classic British NUX.

The [u]VOX amPlug Metal mode[/u]l is the [u]highest gain distortion you can get within the amPlug series[/u], think [u]Mesa Boogie[/u], the exact opposite of what you want for learning clean.

Here's its description in the listing cut and pasted from VOX's site, as I posted yesterday.

"Metal: Gives you the extreme high-gain sound of a US-made amp"

If you follow the instructions I provided in my previous post you will get the optimum result possible from that unit and any guitar combo, although it's still likely to sound distorted at best.

As I said, hardly any dearer than another amPlug, a Blackstar Fly 3 is your all purpose [u]inexpensive[/u] portable solution. They're end user KISS friendly & reliable. It won't disappoint.

Christopher has elaborated on the necessity to practice clean, and when it's salient to use distortion as an effect or deliberate technique.

Touching on another point, although one can practice in silent mode on an unamplified electric guitar, [u]it's not my preference[/u] as don't find it effective other than as a stretching & warmup or scales repetition tactility exercise because it doesn't provide all important aural attack or tonal nuance feedback that even very quiet amplification can. If you practice this way and then go to a larger powerful amplifer and try to play the same piece be it a song, chords, melody, lick, or riff it won't sound anything like you think it did in unamplified mode or you'll want it to. e.g. Here's what I'm working on right now. With its distortion, intro two string slides, vibrato, lick and bend, can you imagine trying to get this sounding right with its 'attitude' in unplugged mode? On the Coda of John's part now, about to start George's rhythm part before moving to John's short lead overdub.

If you need to practice or play with no externally audible noise so as not to annoy the neighbours or others in the house, use a pair of affordable reasonable quailty studio headphones with a Fly 3 or its like, or VOX [u]Clean[/u] amPlug if you want to go there instead, although the latter will again be more limiting in its single clean only tone, and with no effects.

IDK the brand or guitar, but a quick look at the link for that Dean Vendetta guitar series taking into account their marketing and price point, it's likely the x2 HPUPS will be ceramic -type, unspecified other than the deliberately obtuse description "DMT design". In conjunction with that Metal amPlug, IMV you'll be pushing to obtain clean at any gain/volume combo setting.

[u]Practice clean, buy a Fly[/u]. In conjunction with your GT sub, you'll have the tools you need to achieve what you need to in the course Core and subsequent chosen Style genre tuition structure, and options of playing clean or dirty with some tape delay.