View post (Highway to hell?)

View thread

Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/23/2020 1:07 am

Hey there, thanks for your question!!

Yes that 4th fret of the D string only gets added for one quick strum before we change to the open D power chord. So you are correct, I don't move my index finger off of the 2nd fret of the D string, and I fret the 4th fret of the D string with my ring finger, then lift both off for the next strum which is on that D chord.

You don't need to move your index finger off the 2nd fret because that fret will no longer sound - it's below your ring finger that you put down on the 4th fret of the D string in front of it.

Does that make sense? Let me know how it goes!!

Mike

Originally Posted by: mikefsm

Hi Mike,

[br]I'm working on the song highway to hell and I need your help.

In the chorus : guitar 1

At 0:56 you are teaching the transition from A power chord to the next chord which is 4th fret on the D.

[br]The question is, when you do this chord, do you let go the D from the second fret? When at look at the video, it seems like you press down both the D string at the 2nd and the 4th fret? the tablature shows you should only press the 4th fret, but maybe doing both is a trick?

[br]Anyways, if you answer is that you only do the 4th fret, then how is that is looks your are pressing the 2nd fret? what do you do? Do you lift your index a little bit? do you even move it?

[br]Please let me know so I can keep!

Thanks

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach