View post (Phrasing.)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/11/2020 11:59 am
Originally Posted by: Poundhound1) music without musicality is just noise. Yoko Ono?[/quote]

Originally Posted by: Poundhound2) People often criticize the likes of Yngwie, Michael Angelo etc. for having no emotion. The last time I checked joy was an emotion and I take great joy listening to them.[/quote]

Music is a very personal thing. I think that timbre is more of a deal breaker than speed. For example, compare a Beethoven sonata or a classical guitar piece to a Malmsteen or Angelo piece. All of them are shred city & with similar melodic & harmonic content. But you are going to find people very divided over enjoyment of them. And the deciding factor isn't going to be be notes per second. It's going to be the timbre of the instruments.

Originally Posted by: Poundhound

3) Incredibly, some people criticise Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Nuno and Andy Timmons for being mindless shredders!!!

Some of that is timbre. But some of it is unfair. And can usually be more accurately described as, "I don't enjoy music that has a lot of information to process." It can be a lot of work to listen to that many notes. And some people just like music that has a medium tempo steady beat & a hummable melody.

[quote=Poundhound]If it's Rock it's tuneless drivel, if it's jazz then it's the highest form of expression in music. I listened to some Alan Holdsworth recently and while there is absolutely no doubt he is a great player, his music left me completely cold.

Yes, there is a big difference in melodic & harmonic content in some cases.

Music has the ability to evoke an emotional response. And the lack of an emotional response is an indication that the listener should listen to something else. Not necessarily that the music is lacking.

But the emotional response to music is very strong. So people's reactions & expectations are highly charged!

[quote=Poundhound]Finally, thanks again to CS. I'll add the Katana to my shopping list.👍👍

Good deal! Great amp!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory