View post (All my excuses...have just been taken away)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
01/16/2020 2:58 am
Originally Posted by: mjgodin

My acoustic isn't really all that bad. It's an Ibanez AEL-20 Electric acoustic.

[p]

Ibanez AEL20 TBL

More than adequate to learn with which wouldn't present the limiting link even in most intermediate amateur's playing IMV.

[br]Couple of inexpensive performance enhancing and easier on the fingers tips while for you, take or leave them.

[br]1. Buy some Tone Finger Ease (spray), which is an AAA product and so very affordable in the USA it's a no brainer, and Dunlop 65 Ultraglide string cleaner & conditioner (gravity applicator) and use them.

2. [u]Fit a set of[/u] D'Addario or preferred brand [u]12-53s[/u] and check the action or have it rechecked and adjusted for their tension once fitted. I use EJ16s as my go to and can recommend them. I prefer uncoated for a number of reasons. You may prefer coated for longer life, as that Ibanez's tone is quite bright so the tonal effect of coated won't be so prominant. Even if you don't do,

3. [u]Fit new strings[/u] if you haven't for an aeon, and do so regularly. They're a consumable. This above all else is the most frequently neglected or overlooked aspect I see of so many guitarists. I can't stress enough how much this affects [u]feel and playability[/u], regardless of tuning & tone. Strings deteriorate from corrosion the consequence of exposure to moisture and dust coalescence even hanging on the wall, except perhaps if you live in a desert State? Worst in any humid tropical saline environment near the sea.

Keeping those strings fresh and slippery will be one of the best and affordable actions you can instigate to improve and maximise the comfort and pleasure in playing your instrument.