View post (All my excuses...have just been taken away)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
01/14/2020 5:53 pm
Originally Posted by: mjgodin

I can relate. My guitar buzzes and thumps at me all the time and I wanna blame the guitar, but I know it's me. Vicious cycle. [/quote][p]

Hi mjgodin

Reading your post, wanted to share a couple of hopefully helpful thoughts.

IMV&E a guitar is a tool. The right tool for purpose of decent quality makes any job a [u]lot[/u] easier, so it's not necessarily just "me" (you). By the right tool I mean the right guitar for your purpose, which is also a good personal fit. Doesn't have to be expensive, just good design, reasonable build quality and properly set up.

[quote=mjgodin]Im thinking of picking up a cheap electric cause I read they are easier on fingers but I don't want my fingers to get too soft again either. Plus I wanna give it more time before making major investment in gear.

Playing an electric won't cause your fingers to "get too soft", nor will finger strength be lost. Electric is merely a different tool with a different sound and feel. Lots of things about electric though do make it beginner friendly. Ultimately, learn and practice on what you intend to play for the style you are interested in. "Time in" and recurring recency or currency is what conditions fingers, electric or acoustic. I play both.

I comprehend reticence to spend on a lot of gear until committed, but 'wrestling'.with a rubbish guitar is just frustrating. Learning to play is challenging enough as it is. One doesn't have to make a "major investment" to buy a decent guitar, these days, acoustic or electric. Something like this will set you back less than the weekly grocery bill, and fitted with a set of good strings and setup you can do yourself, plays gobsmackingly well.