911 Beautiful Disaster

StratmanKeith
StratmanKeith
01/12/2020 5:20 am

Hey Mike, when you first came out with this song I took a look and I wasn't too sure about it so I moved on to a different song, but after coming back for a second look, and going thru the tutorial a couple times I now realize what a blast this song is going to be, Ill keep working on it until I get it, thanks again for another great lesson, Keith

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/12/2020 2:34 pm

Excellent!! My pleasure!

Cheers!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
StratmanKeith
StratmanKeith
01/14/2020 2:08 am

Well so far this song is alot of fun, Im playing most of it now except the interlude, man thats a challenge......

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/14/2020 1:23 pm

Nice! Keep at it! It will come!

Rock on!

Mike

Originally Posted by: kloveless

Well so far this song is alot of fun, Im playing most of it now except the interlude, man thats a challenge......

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4
StratmanKeith
StratmanKeith
01/21/2020 1:06 am

Hey Mike, I have about 100 songs I can play in my favorites now, but I gotta tell you this song is off the hook, it is in my top three most funky, cool, songs I have learned to date. I am doing the play along with you and now have the first interlude down pretty good, now Im working on the second interlude, was it your choice to teach this song and how the heck did you ever find it? I wake up in the middle of the night humming this song! Of course my wife thinks Im nuts.

Keith

# 5
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/21/2020 1:53 am

Haha, Keith, that's awesome!!! GT got a handful of 311 songs cleared by their publishers, and although I'd never heard this one before either, apparently it is one of their signature songs.

Glad you're digging it!!

Cheers!

Mike

Hey Mike, I have about 100 songs I can play in my favorites now, but I gotta tell you this song is off the hook, it is in my top three most funky, cool, songs I have learned to date. I am doing the play along with you and now have the first interlude down pretty good, now Im working on the second interlude, was it your choice to teach this song and how the heck did you ever find it? I wake up in the middle of the night humming this song! Of course my wife thinks Im nuts.

Keith

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 6
StratmanKeith
StratmanKeith
01/23/2020 2:11 am

Hey Mike, Im getting the second interlude down pretty good now and the whole song is coming together nicely, I think this is the most challenging song I have learned to date, thanks again! Keith

# 7
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/23/2020 1:21 pm

That's awesome Keith! Great work!

Mike

Hey Mike, Im getting the second interlude down pretty good now and the whole song is coming together nicely, I think this is the most challenging song I have learned to date, thanks again! Keith

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 8
StratmanKeith
StratmanKeith
01/23/2020 5:50 pm

Actually the solo on No Particular Place to go is probably the most difficult, I have been working on it for three weeks on and off and still dont have it very good yet, but practice practice practice is the key, right?

# 9
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/24/2020 4:27 pm

Hey Keith! Yeah that's a bit of a tricky one for sure!!

I know I may have mentioned this before - but here is the key: isolate the phrases/licks you find most difficult. Slow it way down and confirm you can execute the lick at a much slower speed. Then, it's all about repetition, repetition, repetition at the slower tempo, programming the lick into your muscle memory. Once you feel like it gets a bit easier at the slower tempo, start raising the tempo and work your way up to full speed.

Try not to get frustrated, as this process can take days, maybe even weeks to get it up to full speed!! But every bit of focused, intentional practicing will make a difference.

Be sure to use the speed buttons and the looping functions on the video to help you practice each phrase with the video more efficiently!! Try to match the phrasing with what I'm playing in the video.

Keep at it, and you should see progress as you start to burn the licks into your fingers!!

Let me know how it goes!!

Mike

Actually the solo on No Particular Place to go is probably the most difficult, I have been working on it for three weeks on and off and still dont have it very good yet, but practice practice practice is the key, right?

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 10
StratmanKeith
StratmanKeith
01/24/2020 5:32 pm

Ive actually taken your advice and have been doing exactly what you recommend, you make it look so easy you're my guitar hero, I even learn a new song unplugged so I dont drive my wife crazy, and then increase the volume as I get better, I use different picks depending on what song it is, Im playing a Fender Strat with a VOX VT 20X amp, thanks so much for your input, it is always welcome, Keith

# 11
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/25/2020 1:04 pm

Excellent - you are doing all the right things (including not driving your spouse crazy haha), so keep rocking it!!

Cheers!

Mike

Ive actually taken your advice and have been doing exactly what you recommend, you make it look so easy you're my guitar hero, I even learn a new song unplugged so I dont drive my wife crazy, and then increase the volume as I get better, I use different picks depending on what song it is, Im playing a Fender Strat with a VOX VT 20X amp, thanks so much for your input, it is always welcome, Keith

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.