How to decide what chords to play w/sheet music

D.Weller1969
Full Access
D.Weller1969
Full Access
01/07/2020 12:22 am

Hello all,

I am wondering the best way to learn what chords to play on guitar when learning a song using regular sheet music (no tabs available).

Specifically, I'd like to learn to play the correct guitar chords for songs when joining in with a few other musicians in church playing regular hymns from a church songbook that only provides sheet music. I think I could sit down and use trial and error to find chords that would work; but I'm sure there must be an easier, more professional way.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/07/2020 3:35 am
Originally Posted by: D.Weller1969

I am wondering the best way to learn what chords to play on guitar when learning a song using regular sheet music (no tabs available).[/quote][p]That depends on the musical context.

The first thing I would suggest is to look at the notation. Is there guitar notation? If so, then it's time to learn to read music! If not, then what instrument is notated? Piano? Then look at the notes of the bottom stave (bass clef - left hand) to get a sense of the chord bass note (root or inversion). Then look at the top stave (treble clef - right hand) to see what chord voicings are being used. Translate to guitar!

[quote=D.Weller1969]Specifically, I'd like to learn to play the correct guitar chords for songs when joining in with a few other musicians in church playing regular hymns from a church songbook that only provides sheet music.

Most hymnals have either vocal melody & basic keyboard notation (for piano or organ). Some just have a SATB arrangement of vocals. In either case you are going to have to learn to read the music notation & see what chords are actually written.

You could probably do an internet search & find someone has charted out the chords. Then see if you have to transpose to whatever key your church wants to play the song in.

I have these tutorials on learning to read music notation. It's an invaluable skill!

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=271

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=318

Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary & best of success with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
D.Weller1969
Full Access
D.Weller1969
Full Access
01/07/2020 7:36 pm

Christopher,

Thank you so much for your reply! Yes, I have completed your tutorials on music notation, as well as those by Lisa. I do remember learning some of the basics many years ago; I will just need to continue to brush up on reading music and then apply that to what I am learning on the guitar.

So far, I am just using the basic Treble Clef music (melodies) in the hymnal; I will check the sources you mentioned for other ideas on chord voicings.

Thank you again for your help and I appreciate all your efforts!

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/08/2020 1:14 pm

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: D.Weller1969

So far, I am just using the basic Treble Clef music (melodies) in the hymnal; I will check the sources you mentioned for other ideas on chord voicings.

[p]

You might also have a look at these tutorials on the basics of harmonizing a melody (assigning chords to a single note melody line). It's a basic classical melody so very much in the same style as traditional hymns.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=166

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=167

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.