"Older" tinkerer, trying to finally be a "player"

spb1122
Full Access
spb1122
Full Access
12/31/2019 5:27 am

Hello everyone!

My name is Steve, I'm 55 years old, and I live in the North East USA.

I took my very first guitar lesson in 1975, at the age of 10.

Didn't last more than a year.

In the 40+ years since then, I would take a guitar out every few years, and mess around with it, trying to teach myself. I used lots of books, sometimes some friends (more in the school age years), video tapes (yes, tapes), computer CD's, and eventually some free online resources (including YouTube.). I did try once about 15 years ago with an in-person instructor, but he moved away unexpectedly after just three lessons, and I couldn't find another teacher who interested me, so that came to pass (I'll cry "busy life", and admit that I didn't try all that hard to find another teacher.).

With all that, I may have picked up some working knowledge about the guitar, but I'm here to tell you, that I don't consider myself able to "play" the guitar.

I can read music (learned from school band through high school, from the lessons I've taken over the years, and from providing my beautiful child with the gift of music as part of her upbringing). So, if I have the sheet music (or tab) in front of me, I can pick out an easy song, or strum along with basic chords, but to be real; I suck.

I believe I need four things to become a "player".

1- Structured lessons

2- Very specific instructions on what, and how, to practice.

3- To follow through and actually practice. A lot. And then some more.

4- Not pack the guitar away again.

Today, I own three guitars, and a bunch of peripherals to go along with them;

1- a 1996 Ovation standard Balladeer

2- a 2001 Fender American Stratocaster

3- a 2003 Gibson SG Special.

I'm hoping Guitar Tricks can be my breakthrough, and help me become a guitar player in my own eyes.

I look forward to the lessons, and hopefully chatting with other students on these forums.

PS - (Oh, fair warning: I can get kind of "wordy" once I get going, in case you didn't take notice...)

# 1
Joe105
Joe105
12/31/2019 12:26 pm

Hi Steve and a warm welcome to you.

An interesting post. With youir background of previous attempts and being able to read music, I think you stand a very good chance of doing well at playing the guitar.

Guitar tricks can provide you with everything you need to become competent with the instrument.

It really comes down to how much you put into it. Your plan:-

1- Structured lessons

Looks good

Whenever you need support or encouragement this is the place to come.

I wish you every success in your venture.

Kind regards

Joe.

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/02/2020 3:37 pm
Originally Posted by: spb1122

Hello everyone!

My name is Steve, I'm 55 years old, and I live in the North East USA.

I took my very first guitar lesson in 1975, at the age of 10.

Didn't last more than a year.

In the 40+ years since then, I would take a guitar out every few years, and mess around with it, trying to teach myself. I used lots of books, sometimes some friends (more in the school age years), video tapes (yes, tapes), computer CD's, and eventually some free online resources (including YouTube.). I did try once about 15 years ago with an in-person instructor, but he moved away unexpectedly after just three lessons, and I couldn't find another teacher who interested me, so that came to pass (I'll cry "busy life", and admit that I didn't try all that hard to find another teacher.).

With all that, I may have picked up some working knowledge about the guitar, but I'm here to tell you, that I don't consider myself able to "play" the guitar.

I can read music (learned from school band through high school, from the lessons I've taken over the years, and from providing my beautiful child with the gift of music as part of her upbringing). So, if I have the sheet music (or tab) in front of me, I can pick out an easy song, or strum along with basic chords, but to be real; I suck.

I believe I need four things to become a "player".

1- Structured lessons

Today, I own three guitars, and a bunch of peripherals to go along with them;

1- a 1996 Ovation standard Balladeer

2- a 2001 Fender American Stratocaster

3- a 2003 Gibson SG Special.

I'm hoping Guitar Tricks can be my breakthrough, and help me become a guitar player in my own eyes.

I look forward to the lessons, and hopefully chatting with other students on these forums.

PS - (Oh, fair warning: I can get kind of "wordy" once I get going, in case you didn't take notice...)

We're about the same age and the difference between you and I is that I started playing in high school and continued to do so for most all the decades since. I'm not a beginner. I do have years of experience though. If you're around these boards often enough, you'll see me pop up with some thoughts from my years etc.

The point here is that it's importsnt not to grade yourself by terms like 'suck'. Mind you, I'm not all warm and fuzzy like 'you should never judge yourself and just feel good about yourself' and all that. God knows, that ain't me. In a funny sort of way, what has propelled me over the years is the idea that no matter what level I've attained, I'll see someone better and realize I do suck. Even if others say I don't.

I saw Marcus King the other night and at 23 years old, is a monster. Humbling for sure. I was all like 'Man, I wasn't even even half that good at 23 and even now, I'm not there. I'm very capable but he's otherworldly. So I say to myself, 'I suck'.

Why am I telling you that you should not be stuck in 'suck'?

Don't spend too much time worrying about sucking. It's ok to look to a great player and realize you could be better. The key is to not be stuck in suck. To see things like better players as a challenge to improve and not be demoralized. But also know that you have limitations...for now. Time fixes most limitations. You do get better. We all have have different timeframes that it happens within.

On your 'must do' list to become a better player, all of them are on point. I'll just focus on number three; 'To follow through and actually practice. A lot. And then some more'.

Be sure that you want to practice. This is the most important distinction between those that stick with playing and those that don't.

When I started, I couldn't wait to get home from school and play. It was hard work as a beginner and the songs I was learning off the bat were way more advanced that I should have been trying. Ignorance is bliss that I didn't any know better (but also where my 'don't worry about suck' comes from).

That's kinda the thing here. Goal number one is to want to play and stay engaged. That's the TOP goal. That means that the other three of your learning bullet points are subservient to this one point. The rest of them are a means to an end for learning. Wanting to play matters the most. Your will to follow through and practice will be based on how much you want to play.

Which means to first enjoy playing guitar, whatever it takes, and not get lost in a perception of how good you think you should be. Don't get lost in the suck. If you enjoy playing and stick with that, the rest falls in to place.

# 3
spb1122
Full Access
spb1122
Full Access
01/02/2020 8:12 pm

Thanks Joe and Jeff.

I hear you both, and will take what you wrote to heart.

Just to clarify, I used the word "suck" in jest. I understand that attempts at humor don't always come through in forums.

I'm more than able to laugh at myself, and that's what I really meant. I'm not down on myself about it. I'm just self aware of my status.

It's all good.

Thanks again!

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.