View post (Guitar pick shape.)

View thread

Joe105
Joe105
12/07/2019 12:01 am
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

Picks are a funny thing and often not thought of as a significant item in terms of guitar player discussions...at least not the first thing asked about. No one ever leads a convo with another guitar player with 'what pick do you use'. Yet, it's the thing that strikes the strings...or even when you don't use a pick! You'll hear somone ask what strings do another guitar plyer use long before the pick.

It's so different for everyone as well. Billy Gibbons uses coins too. Derek Trucks finger picks...another guy uses as stone and so on.

Like with your 'customized' pick Joe, it's finding that thing that works for you. It's a very important part of playing and if something off the shelf doesn't work, make one that does!

I totally agree.

I can't think of another musical instrument, off the top of my head, that has such diverse methods of making the instrument make sound. Drums spring to mind and guitars have been used as a drum as well, come to think of it.

I've even seen bows used on a guitar.

I think I've found my prefered method of producing sound with my 'customized' pick. (I like that term) :). But you never know what may materialize in the future. Each to his/her own, eh?

Joe.