View post (Guitar pick shape.)

View thread

Joe105
Joe105
12/06/2019 1:53 pm

Hi all.

I was thinking about the shape of the standard guitar pick with it's rounded pointy shape and how it can easily move between the fingers and misalign with the strings, a constant annoyance for me.

My thoughts turned to Bryan May of 'Queen' fame and how he used a British 'sixpence' piece when he played.

I got hold of a spare pick I had and rounded off the pointy end until it had a radius of about 1 centimeter and bevelled it off nice and smooth. It only took a few minutes.

Then I tried it out.

It worked amazingly well. I was able to pick faster and more accurately. The string attack was good and I did not have to concern myself with the pick rotating between my fingers and not aligning with the strings. I can almost forget about the pick and it's orientation now which is nice.

I will not be going back to the standard pick shape and it is very easy to modify a pick any time I want.

Now, this modification may not suit everyone but I thought I would share this experiment and give people a chance to find out for themselves,

I'm happy.

Best wishes to all,

Joe