View post (New to the forum and progress with stats.)

View thread

Keys_
Keys_
11/14/2019 2:11 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Hey & welcome to GT!

When you first start it's just about all you can do to squeeze the neck & strings to make a sound happen! But gradually as you build skill you will find that it's easier to play. As you start to notice the guitar is easier to fret, your calluses get built, your muscles learn what to do, it's important to adjust how much pressure you apply.

You only need a certain amount of pressure & tension to play each note or chord. Any amount more than you need is going to result in fatigue, pain & actually hinder your ability to get to the next note or chord. So, start to assess how much tension you are using & back off until you are applying just enough pressure to get the notes to sound.

Make sense? Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary. Congrats again & best of success with your guitar learning & playing!

Thank you! I've been trying to re do it again and try to put a lot of pressure at first and then loose it til my note are mute so I can find a sweetspot where the note can sound without muting itself.

Is still hard tho since I have to get used to not applying too much force anymore.

Another question not related to that; How can I get better at improvisation? At the moment there is not much about improvisation on the lessons and what I've found on the Internet is that I need to learn music theory to do it?

I would love to learn how to improvise since playing songs from bands is super fun and all but I would like something coming from myself too. Thank you.