View post (New to the forum and progress with stats.)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/13/2019 5:35 pm

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: Keys_

From then to now I went from looking 24/7 my fretboard to barely looking unless I'm on the 12+ frets.

At the moment I can play (although not perfectly) 9ish songs being;[/quote][p]Wow! Congrats on your achievement so far. That's wonderful!

Originally Posted by: Keys_There has been some days that I don't really want to play or feel like I'm stuck and wont get anywhere. But looking at the stats and how much work I've put into it, it helps me by pushing me forward.

That's a great way to motivate yourself.

[quote=Keys_]

My fingertips feels like are going to explode and I'm trying to not push it too much because it makes my wrist hurts a lot, I still don't know how to properly hold the neck without making my wrist suffer, same when playing chords for too long, so I would love some tips on that.

Some of that might be just needing to build strength & dexterity in order to gain more endurance. But in my experience the biggest reason beginner guitar players get finger & wrist pain is playing too hard.

When you first start it's just about all you can do to squeeze the neck & strings to make a sound happen! But gradually as you build skill you will find that it's easier to play. As you start to notice the guitar is easier to fret, your calluses get built, your muscles learn what to do, it's important to adjust how much pressure you apply.

You only need a certain amount of pressure & tension to play each note or chord. Any amount more than you need is going to result in fatigue, pain & actually hinder your ability to get to the next note or chord. So, start to assess how much tension you are using & back off until you are applying just enough pressure to get the notes to sound.

Make sense? Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary. Congrats again & best of success with your guitar learning & playing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory