Skinny Jim

StratmanKeith
StratmanKeith
11/07/2019 7:16 pm

Hey Mike, and yet another great song choice and lesson from you, the slides are coming along good but the pull offs are a real challenge, any advice other than practice, practice, practice? My fingers are getting pretty sore........... Keith

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/08/2019 1:31 pm

Hey Keith!! Those are tough pull offs to get fast and clean!

First off -- give your fingers a rest and come back to it when they feel a little better. Soaking your fingertips in apple cider vinegar for 30 seconds may help with the soreness and develop calluses quicker. Some also suggest drying out your fingertips a few times a day by applying rubbing alcohol with a cotton ball -- this can hasten the formation of calluses.

Of course, as you know me like a cheap novel, practice practice practice at slow speeds is always my recomendation -- however, it also is useful to add finger strengthening excercises into your practice sessions. Check out the following lesson for an example:

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=12694&s_id=658

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes!

Mike

Originally Posted by: kloveless

Hey Mike, and yet another great song choice and lesson from you, the slides are coming along good but the pull offs are a real challenge, any advice other than practice, practice, practice? My fingers are getting pretty sore........... Keith

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
StratmanKeith
StratmanKeith
11/08/2019 10:23 pm

Mike, thanks for that lesson link, it helps alot! Keith

# 3
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
11/09/2019 2:53 am
Originally Posted by: Mike Olekshy

First off -- give your fingers a rest and come back to it when they feel a little better. Soaking your fingertips in apple cider vinegar for 30 seconds may help with the soreness and develop calluses quicker. Some also suggest drying out your fingertips a few times a day by applying rubbing alcohol with a cotton ball -- this can hasten the formation of calluses.

A guitar teacher told me many, many years ago to soak your fingertips in strong ice tea. The cold to soothe the pain and the tannic acid to toughen the skin.

# 4
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/09/2019 2:20 pm

Nice tip Dave - I've never heard that one!! Thanks for sharing!!

Mike

Originally Posted by: davem_or

A guitar teacher told me many, many years ago to soak your fingertips in strong ice tea. The cold to soothe the pain and the tannic acid to toughen the skin.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.