View post (Electric Guitar for under $1000)

View thread

Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
10/21/2019 3:19 pm

best bet is to go to your local guitar store, try the new and used that you like how they look. then play them and see which feel the best in your hands.

--does it feel too heavy?

--does it have too many switches/options or too few? when I test out guitars, I play a chord (D chord and G chord), this helps me get a sense if i feel too cramped or too much of a stretch on the fret board. Ask yourself: is the guitar comfortable?

factor in cost for a decent amp (which will make a guitar shine moreso than a cheap amp), factor in $100 + on your budget.

My own guitar journey: I had a fender player strat. Love strats, my favorite players use strats, but it was too heavy. I now own a fender duo sonic. And a new to me guild bluesbird (tried this guitar and fell in love after a year or more of playing. Did not consider a guild electric, but testing out all the guitars-she felt right in my hands). both are lighter weight and easier for me to play (I am a short woman with small hands).

HOWEVER-epiphone, gibson, squire, PRS, kramer, schecter, gretsch ALL make great guitars.

Amps: I own a small boss katana, great sound, not a lot of bells and whistles, both guitars sound great. Also own a vox mini5 and recently purchased a vox mini superbeetle. My guitar instructor pointed out that a decent amp is the best first investment, and he was right. The boss and mini 5 were my first two. other great amps in the midrange-fender, boss, roland, marshall, blackstar.

Bottom line-keep an open mind, there are a ton of great guitars out there in your price range. develop a relationship with a local guitar store, let them get to know you and you them. I did so and it was one of those young guys that pointed me to the Guild Bluesbird because he knew my style of play, and what would feel comfortable for me to play for hours on end. Again, guild electric guitar was not on my radar.

You may end up purchasing a guitar you never thought of as a possibility and falling in love with it.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute