BOSS KATANA

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/06/2021 2:29 pm
Originally Posted by: Bowman_David

May I please ask for the best settings for T-rex's 20th Century boy.

[/quote]

Mike details the settings really well on the gear & tone page of that song lesson.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=27277&s_id=2287

Based on that I'd start with this on the Katana:

Guitar with humbucker in the bridge position (probably the most important part of that tone!)

Amp: Crunch

Gain & Volume at 50%

Bass: 45% Mid: 55% Treb: 60%

Effect: Yellow booster on 75% (to simulate the Big Muff Fuzz)

Reverb: 30%

This guitar goes into detail about how to specifically dial in the Big Muff Fuzz effect on the Katana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0MybCUawLc&t=127s

[quote=Bowman_David]It would be incredible if there was a section on the site to download presets/patches that we could install.

I doubt if GT would be willing or even able to host something like that. And anyway it would be just reinventing the wheel that already exists at other sites dedicated to that purpose.

http://bosstonecentral.com/

Also, I think it's an invaluable learning experience to be have to turn those knobs yourself & listen to what they do so you get that knowledge directly. Hope that helps!

Have fun with that tune. It's a fun one!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 1
Jim Stanford
Jim Stanford
09/01/2021 5:11 am

Well, what the hey, let me jump into this with both feet...

I tend toward Southern Rock/Blues, but trying to find that good tone from .38 Special such as "Hold On Loosely" and other songs in that vein. I picked up a Boss Katana 50 MkII last weekend anticipating re-learning a lot of stuff. Primary guitar right now is an HSS, but I do have a couple of HH lying around that I can dig out if that will make a difference. (Also working on a project guitar with three single coils, but that's going to be a bit.)

Thanks in advance.

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/01/2021 11:45 am
Originally Posted by: Jim Stanford

I tend toward Southern Rock/Blues, but trying to find that good tone from .38 Special such as "Hold On Loosely" and other songs in that vein.

[p]To my knowledge those guys used Gibson style guitars with humbuckers into Peavey Mace amps. This site confirms it, also mentioning an MXR EQ pedal. I think they likely used it to boost the mid & high frequencies.

http://www.woodytone.com/2011/04/26/jeff-carlisis-38-special-gear-deets/

The rhythm tone on those old tunes used a little less gain & the lead tone a little more.

To get either of those with your Katana, I'd use a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge position. Then try these settings to get started.

Crunch amp type

Gain 5

Volume 5

Bass 4

Mid 6

Treble 8

Effects - Booster (try yellow or red setting) on 75%.

Reverb - 25%

The difference between the rhythm & lead is the amount of gain. So, you might have to turn the gain or booster up or down a little. Alternately, I set my amp up a lead tone, then turn the guitar volume down a little for rhythm.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 3
Jim Stanford
Jim Stanford
09/01/2021 12:49 pm

Thanks, Christopher. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes. Much appreciated.

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/02/2021 12:49 pm

Thanks, Christopher. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes. Much appreciated.

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 5
Jim Stanford
Jim Stanford
09/04/2021 1:23 am
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

You're welcome!

Chris, just a follow up.... that setup worked on my Boss Katana 50 MkII. Thanks for the help. I managed to figure out how to save it to one of the channels, so now I have it (along with the message you sent printed out and on my music stand... lol.)

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/04/2021 1:06 pm
Originally Posted by: Jim Stanfordthat setup worked on my Boss Katana 50 MkII. Thanks for the help.

Good deal! You're welcome. Have fun with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7
mark bergen
mark bergen
09/08/2022 6:54 pm

Hey Christopher, fantastic posts! I am looking for a Brian Setzer Stray Cats sound. Any tips?

# 8
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/09/2022 6:15 pm
Originally Posted by: mark bergen

Hey Christopher, fantastic posts! I am looking for a Brian Setzer Stray Cats sound. Any tips?

That's fun stuff to play. :) The core of that is a clean, bright tone with a little bite, but the really magic is in the slapback delay with a little reverb.

I have a preset on my Zoom pedal explicitly for that slapback echo stuff when I play Setzer stuff. So, I don't usually do that on my Katana. But I just tried these settings with decent results.

Guitar on bridge pickup.

Amp type: clean

Gain: 50%

Volume: 75%

EQ: Bass 25%, Mids 75%, Treble75%

FX:

Boost (yellow) 25%

Delay (yellow or red both seem to work well) 80% (in order to get it loud enough)

(tap the tempo button quickly so you get a short repeat)

Reverb 40%

The problem here is that you can't get only one repeat of the delay without connecting your Katana to your computer & installing the Boss Tone Studio in order to edit the settings to get only one repeat. Because that's the classic rockabilly twang. You can set the Delay knob to lower like 50%, but that lowers the volume & the slapback is supposed to be very quick and almost as lous as the original signal.

Anyway that will get you in the ballpark.

These GT lessons cover rockabilly tone in depth & detail.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=16305&s_id=1189

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=18389&s_id=1419

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.