BOSS KATANA

chrism1222
chrism1222
05/13/2020 10:45 pm

Hey hows it going. How can I get a nice clean sound from my Tele. I'm getting a bit of distortion when strumming chords. They start to blend together. Just looking for something clean to also set up my pedals. [br][br]

thanks

# 1
mcmichaeljared2000
mcmichaeljared2000
12/21/2020 1:53 am

Hey Christopher! Would you be able to help me get John Mayer's tone on the boss katana 50, I have a prs that can split coils but obviously it's no strat but figured you could get something close... I know he uses prs and strats.

thank you

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/21/2020 12:34 pm
Originally Posted by: mcmichaeljared2000

Would you be able to help me get John Mayer's tone on the boss katana 50, I have a prs that can split coils but obviously it's no strat but figured you could get something close... I know he uses prs and strats.

Which particular song? He changes his tone quite a bit from song to song, album to album!

The Boss Tone Central site has a bunch of downloadable patches when you download the program & connect your Katana.

http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/category/katana_mk2/

Check it out!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
mcmichaeljared2000
mcmichaeljared2000
12/29/2020 3:16 pm

Really I'm looking for a good clean tone with my amp so that way I can use my pedals for drives and wet sounds

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/29/2020 6:02 pm
Originally Posted by: mcmichaeljared2000

Really I'm looking for a good clean tone with my amp so that way I can use my pedals for drives and wet sounds

In that case I recommend the clean amp setting. Set the gain & volume on 50%. Set the EQ on 50% (then mix to taste!). Turn off the effects & reverb if you don't want any of that, or you intend to get it from your pedals. Set master volume to desired level.

I use this basic setting everyday on my Katana & it works well for basic practice. I also add a little boost (first FX knob, green or red setting) just to get some punch & clarity from the basic sound. And I always have on about 25% reverb.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 5
Bowman_David
Bowman_David
06/23/2021 10:53 pm

Hi.

If it's not too much trouble can I please ask for settings for an oasis sound. I know this thread has been inactive for a while but your expert opinion would be greatly appreciated! [br]songs I'm interest in:[br]Stand by me

f**king in the bushes

swamp song

all have really different sounds. I'd be so interested in knowing how you'd recommend setting it up for them.

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/24/2021 4:58 pm
Originally Posted by: Bowman_David

If it's not too much trouble can I please ask for settings for an oasis sound.

[p]The core of the electric guitar sound on most Oasis material is:

Gibson guitar using the bridge humbucker >

Tubescreamer or similar overdrive >

Slight delay effect >

Cranked Vox AC-30 or Marshall combo amp

More details on this site devoted to the band's guitar gear.

https://guitarplayer.wordpress.com/2008/06/14/the-complete-noel-gallagher-oasis-gear-guide/

To set your Katana for this try the following:

Amp type: crunch

Gain: 50%

Volume: 75%

EQ

Bass: 30%

Mids: 70%

Treble: 70%

FX

Boost: Yellow 80%

Delay: Yellow 10%

Reverb: Yellow 10%

Any electric guitar using the bridge pickup will get you close with those settings. But a Gibson style humbucker guitar using the bridge position is going to be the closest because that's what they almost always used.

The 'Bushes' song turns down the gain considerably on the main riff. Turn the amp gain & boost gain down a bit. But the core is the same. And the lead turns the gain back up but sounds like the neck pickup.

The Swamp song turns the gain up (& maybe adds a fuzz tone).

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7
Bowman_David
Bowman_David
07/01/2021 12:35 pm

That's really fantastic thank you!

I didn't get an email saying that you'd replied I am so thrilled to see this. [br]I will give that I try tonight :D

# 8
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/01/2021 2:41 pm

That's really fantastic thank you!

You're welcome! Enjoy!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 9
Jekade
Full Access
Jekade
Full Access
07/10/2021 11:36 pm

Hey Guys, There is a Boss Facebook group where we all make patches and post to share. It is called Boss Katana Patches. I have a EVH 90s era patch up there myself Check it out bet you could find what you like or even ask questions of the group.

Jeff

# 10
Herman10
Herman10
07/11/2021 12:24 am

What ever happend to regular websites?? again another facebook site and locked to be viewed by facebook members only, I don't have facebook and I will never subscribe to it because I already get enough spam without it and mister Zuckerberg is already rich enough.

Just a free website only for a Katana forum with a download section would be nice.

# 11
manXcat
manXcat
07/11/2021 1:05 am

The prime user demographic changed. [br][br]The current prime demographic Roland is heavily invested in and subsequently targeting is now the Facebook, Instagram, Twitter conditioned one, along with a presence on You Tube of course.[br][br]I get where you're coming from as I loath those social media mediums too, but like it or not, that's the playground in 2021. OTOH, one factor in your favour, the Katana 50 in particular is so popular, there are a myriad of alternative independent sites also supporting it with patches you can avail.e.g. guitarpatches.com

Searches will reveal. Cheers.

# 12
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/11/2021 2:37 pm
Originally Posted by: JEkade

Hey Guys, There is a Boss Facebook group where we all make patches and post to share. It is called Boss Katana Patches. I have a EVH 90s era patch up there myself Check it out bet you could find what you like or even ask questions of the group.

Thanks for the heads up! There are a few such groups on FB. It's great that Katana users are getting so much enjoyment from those excellent amps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 13
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/11/2021 2:44 pm
Originally Posted by: Herman10What ever happend to regular websites??[/quote]

They are still around. But platforms like FB make it easier to find people with similar interests.

[quote=Herman10]Just a free website only for a Katana forum with a download section would be nice.

Even a free to use website requires that someone pays to host it & spends time & effort to maintain it.

But there are options like this that exist. The Gear Page is a great forum with a lot of user interaction, info about a wide variety of topics; not just gear, but also playing ideas, technique, etc. And it is also free to get an account & use most of the site. I've found it an incredible resource & am a paying member. I pay a small yearly fee just to help keep it going because I get so much value from it.

In addtion, Boss maintains a great site with tons of useful free to download patches for their gear. I've used it a couple of times & it's well maintained & organized to my knowledge.

http://www.bosstonecentral.com/

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 14
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/11/2021 2:55 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcatThe prime user demographic changed.[/quote]

Good observation. Combine that with advancements in tech & the fact that any platform has bills to pay & here we are.

[br]

Originally Posted by: manXcatThe current prime demographic Roland is heavily invested in and subsequently targeting is now the Facebook, Instagram, Twitter conditioned one, along with a presence on You Tube of course.
[p]I have accounts on those, but only use them minimally & usually just to interact with people I know.

FWIW, I don't think social media changed people as much as amplified the effects already present in their personalities by providing easy access to a bigger megaphone.

There have always been superficial people looking for easy fame. Conversely there have always been more sincere people interested in building value, being creative. And of course there is a whole continuum of people in between those 2 polar extremes. Social media platforms make it easier for all of them to be seen, heard & interact.

[br][quote=manXcat]OTOH, one factor in your favour, the Katana 50 in particular is so popular, there are a myriad of alternative independent sites also supporting it with patches you can avail.e.g. guitarpatches.com

[p]Exactly. Thanks for the link!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 15
Bowman_David
Bowman_David
07/31/2021 4:04 am

I love my katana.

may I ask your advice in this group please. I have just started the first rock module (Open Chord Hard Rock Tone) and when on a clean setting with gain my katana doesn't sound anywhere near as distorted as the instructors. To get the same level I have to turn onto crunch or add distortion as well as gain. Am I doing something wrong?[br][br]

thanks

# 16
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/31/2021 4:12 pm

I have just started the first rock module (Open Chord Hard Rock Tone) and when on a clean setting with gain my katana doesn't sound anywhere near as distorted as the instructors. To get the same level I have to turn onto crunch or add distortion as well as gain. Am I doing something wrong?

No, that's the nature of the clean tone. You are going to have to add some kind of gain to the tone in order to get that grit. Fortunately, there are many ways to achieve that with the Katana. And it sounds like you've got the right idea.

Either start with the amp setting to immediately get more gain using Crunch. Or leave it on Clean, but add some gain with the Boost effects setting. You might want to experiement with both options to hear the differences.

Another thing that has a big effect on the tone is volume. When you are playing Crunch settings at low volumes they sound really massive & thick. But as soon as you start to turn it up louder you'll notice how messy & thin they can sound.

Alternately, the clean setting but adding for example a green button setting boost & cranking it, sounds really full.

And don't forget the gain setting right next to the amp setting. Cranking that gain & volume can help a lot, too.

And of course, the guitar & your technique all have a big effect on the tone!

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 17
Bowman_David
Bowman_David
07/31/2021 9:06 pm

Great. Really good info thank you. [br]I can't wait to progress through the rock lessons. Have a great weekend

# 18
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/01/2021 3:05 pm

Great. Really good info thank you. [br]I can't wait to progress through the rock lessons. Have a great weekend

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 19
Bowman_David
Bowman_David
08/05/2021 6:43 pm

May I please ask for the best settings for T-rex's 20th Century boy. [br]I am currently learning it.

Aside from that request. [br]It would be incredible if there was a section on the site to download presets/patches that we could install.

Thanks for your advice!

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.