View post (BOSS KATANA)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/31/2021 4:12 pm
Originally Posted by: Bowman_David

I have just started the first rock module (Open Chord Hard Rock Tone) and when on a clean setting with gain my katana doesn't sound anywhere near as distorted as the instructors. To get the same level I have to turn onto crunch or add distortion as well as gain. Am I doing something wrong?

No, that's the nature of the clean tone. You are going to have to add some kind of gain to the tone in order to get that grit. Fortunately, there are many ways to achieve that with the Katana. And it sounds like you've got the right idea.

Either start with the amp setting to immediately get more gain using Crunch. Or leave it on Clean, but add some gain with the Boost effects setting. You might want to experiement with both options to hear the differences.

Another thing that has a big effect on the tone is volume. When you are playing Crunch settings at low volumes they sound really massive & thick. But as soon as you start to turn it up louder you'll notice how messy & thin they can sound.

Alternately, the clean setting but adding for example a green button setting boost & cranking it, sounds really full.

And don't forget the gain setting right next to the amp setting. Cranking that gain & volume can help a lot, too.

And of course, the guitar & your technique all have a big effect on the tone!

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory