View post (BOSS KATANA)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/11/2019 3:20 pm
Originally Posted by: craftykennyi play mostly blues think Joe Bonamassa and alot of clean stuff think Mark Knophler,although i must add not nearly as well as either of those 2 gentlemen.

Got it.

Bonamassa often plays Fender Tweed amp (those brown combos). And sometimes he has a pretty overdriven tone, but it's the result of volume more than gain. For that type of tone I suggest using this:

Crunch amp type

Gain 5

Volume 7

Bass 5

Mid 6

Treble 2

Effects - Booster (yellow color on the button) on 5 (this is a really important part of getting that punchy sound of the pick attack to sound right)

For his cleaner sounding blues I'd recommend:

Clean amp type[br]Gain 5

Volume 5[br]Bass 5

Mid 7

Treble 4

Effects - Booster (yellow color on the button) on 4

A little delay & reverb won't sound bad here & will flesh out the sound.

Delay (yellow) 2

Reverb 3

For Mark Knopfler tone (especially that classic cealn 'Sultans of Swing') you have to start with the guitar. He used a Strat with single coils & set on the middle & bridge pickup. He also used a compressor into a mostly clean amp. And that's where you can use the Booster again!

Clean amp type[br]Gain 4

Volume 5[br]Bass 3

Mid 7

Treble 6

Effects - Booster (yellow color on the button) on 3

Again a little delay & reverb won't sound bad here & will flesh out the sound.

Delay (yellow) 2

Reverb 3

That will probably get you in the ballpark. But you'll have to tweak to get closer depending on your guitar, playing style & volume.

And that's the caveat with all of these: it will depend a lot on your guitar & how loud you are playing. The louder the volume, the less you will need the bass & treble to make it sound full. At low volumes you often need to turn the bass & treble up to make up for the lack of punch from the speaker. Hope that makes sense. You can hear it for yourself with a little experimentation!

Also, if you haven't yet, you might check out the Katana website for downloadable patches. I haven't use them but I did play around the Tone Central computer program!

http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/category/katana/

Hope that helps! Have fun tone chasing, but don't forget to play guitar more than fiddle with knobs. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory