Yamaha DG Stomp

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/10/2002 5:19 pm
As I announced in another thread, I'm in the process of setting up for home recording. Part of that game plan was to get some sort of multi-FX/preamp to play my guitars through. I settled on the Yamaha DG Stomp as my 'weapon of choice'. As usual, I turned to eBay, and got a good deal on a used unit.

As luck would have it, the seller turned out to be a famous professional, so I got some insight along with the hardware. I asked him why he was willing to part with the unit, and here's his explanation:

"I thought the DG Stomp was the best modeler out there, and it satisfied my desire to achieve a certain goal at the time. The fact that there is no sound in that box as good as a class A tube amp convinced me to produce the sound first, with a good amp, and then effect it...or as I'm going to try: use a digital mixer (like the Digidesign 002) to preamp and effect my sound, and then go to a good amp."

...which sounds a whole lot like the gist of my earlier ranting about low-power guitar amps! (More on that in yet another thread).

So far, I've only used the DG Stomp for practice, with headphones. Finally, this crazed insomniac can blast away at 03:00 AM, without facing charges! And it sounds pretty dayum good!

As noted in another thread, I've only just gotten my Guillemot MaxiStudio card installed, so I'll be adding more comments later, as I get further into this project.

Meanwhile, any other owners of this machine are invited to add their views and comments. The idea is to build up a base of information on various bits of gear. This is the Gear Forum, yes?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.