Identifying Key Signature

Mglambo
Full Access
Mglambo
Full Access
08/19/2019 2:17 pm

I started the Identifying The Key Signature tutorial with Christopher Schlegel. In lesson #2 he goes though the notes in the A minor scale as A,B,C,D,E,F, and G sharp. Then as he plays the scale he plays the those 7 notes in 2 octaves but the G is not sharped. I must be missing something here. What am I missing Christopher? Thanks in advance.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/19/2019 9:57 pm
Originally Posted by: Mglambo

I started the Identifying The Key Signature tutorial with Christopher Schlegel. In lesson #2 he goes though the notes in the A minor scale as A,B,C,D,E,F, and G sharp.

[p]I play the G# when the E major chord happens, the V chord of the progression.

The natural A minor scale has a G note as the 7th degree as the "default setting". But we modulate, we adjust the scale when we get to a chord that uses a note that is not in the scale. One of the most frequent place this happens in minor key is when the V chord is a major chord. We have to make the 7th degree sharp!

I explain this in greater detail as the lesson continues & later in the tutorial when the E chord is discussed.

The bottom line is that you will have to play the A minor scale both ways. With the G as natural minor & with the G# as harmonic minor. Notice that the first play along is just over the A minor chord. So, I started with the default setting, before we get into exception cases.

Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary. Best of success with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Mglambo
Full Access
Mglambo
Full Access
08/19/2019 10:43 pm

Thanks Christopher. I only got part way through lesson 2 and was befuddled by that. I'll carry on through the whole tutorial and see if I can make sense of it. This stuff might be a little above my theory level.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/20/2019 11:44 am
Originally Posted by: Mglambo

Thanks Christopher. I only got part way through lesson 2 and was befuddled by that. I'll carry on through the whole tutorial and see if I can make sense of it. This stuff might be a little above my theory level.

You're welcome! You might want to start on the first tutorial of the improvisation series.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=876

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.