Suggestions For Pup's

The Stonetone
The Stonetone
08/01/2019 10:50 pm

Hello All I have a strat Player Series and will be Changing the PuP's im leaning towards the Area 58 in the Neck the 67 in the Middle And in the rear its either the Area 61 or the Virtual Vintage Blues Heavy 2 not sure which to go for the Bridge PuP.. Anyone have any insight or experience My styles for My start are Blue Heavy Blues and Classic Hard Rock thanks all for your Input

Stone

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
08/02/2019 6:50 pm

Hi Mike,

I don't have any experience with the Area 58/61 but I'm like you and learned how to play guitar through getting into the blues, and classic rock. With that being said, I upgraded my MIM strat with Fender Texas Specials and they sound pretty rad!

I suggest give that a try if you want!

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
08/02/2019 9:27 pm

Iron Gearmakes great replacement pickups for Strats. I have Fat 50's in my Strat and really like them. So haven't changed them. But I order the Texas Loco for my Yamaha Pacifica but haven't changed them out yet.

Give them a look. I've heard a lot of people rave about them and they are reasonably priced.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 3
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
08/03/2019 12:35 am

IME IronGear's usurous international shipping rates cruel their relative value.

[br]To add insult to injury, they're only "R&D'd in the UK". Most probably made by ARM generically Artec, the same as Wilkinson or Vanson are to their own spec by the same Korean manufacturer, or one of its subcontractors. Not decrying IronGear quality, but why pay double and triple for nought but a novel name and marketing when Wilkinson or Vanson et al produced to high spec by the same OEM in Korea can be had?

IMPE IronGear triage "reasonably priced" only if buying them subsidised post free in the UK, but for residents in the US in particular, Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio are just as affordable. Had I that advantage, I'd choose to take advantage of it.

The primary reason ROW looks elsewhere for aftermarket other than those brands or Fender is price, as otherwise it's a "why venture elsewhere?" no brainer. Somewhere within the product range of those two US brands most whose underlying motivation isn't boutique chic affectation will find an acceptable tone and quality aftermarket substitute, tones for niche genres e.g. TV Jones, notwithstanding.

# 4
bookas58
bookas58
08/05/2019 7:26 am

Hello to Manxcat . From reading some of your previous posts , I gather you are in Darwin . One of my old stomping grounds . If you are looking for pickups , give Mick Breirley a go . He's based in Adelaide , good prices and great product . Good thing about Mick is if you are not happy you can send them back and he will give them a tweak to get the sound you want . So far I have put his P90's in two builds , his B90's ( humbucker sized P90's ) in a Tele and a set of Modern Hot A2's into a Maton MS 2000 . All of them are great . A lot of the guys on the Aussie Guitar Gear Heads forum are using them . A word of warning they are bloody loud ! Don't know what his secret is , but even though all the one's I have installed are somewhat hotter than the norm , they maintain their clarity . On Stephen White's recommendation I replaced the bridge humbucker in an Ibanez SA360Q with a Seynour Duncan Pearly Gates and was quite pleased with the result . The Modern Hot A2's in the Maton MS2000 are just as good . Just Google Breirley Guitar Pickups and he has sound clips and video's on the site . The down if any is , it takes about 6 weeks from the time of payment to get them . He doesn't keep them in stock , he makes them to order .

# 5
The Stonetone
The Stonetone
08/05/2019 9:34 am

Thanks all for the Great Suggestions :)

Stone

# 6
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
08/06/2019 10:33 pm

Hi bookas58

I somehow missed your post earlier. My apologies for the belated reply.

Thanks for the suggestion and info. Albeit with a change of plan, I've since bought (see my most recent post in the Tech forum thread), but will check MB PUPs out for future reference. Re delivery, I have sufficient guitars to sub and no pressing performance need other than personal, so time is seldom an issue with me. Mick's modus operandi would suit me just fine.

No to Darwin, thankfully. I've lived in the tropics in years gones by, but I have a personal detestation for the climate with its high humidity and monsoonal like weather come summer. Whilst it wouldn't be my preferred choice, OTOH I could take the dry heat of somewhere inland like Charleville even though is frequently a scorching 40+C in summer. These days I live regional coastal South East Qld adjacent the Coral Sea. Climate at this latitude is moderate sub-tropical. Even so in our eight month long 'summers' despite a sea breeze from early AM as we're less than 200M from the ocean, our aircon is seldom turned off day or night.

Had a bo peep at the Ibanez SA360 in Lee Wrathe's capable hands. Which bridge PUP are you running in it now?

# 7
bookas58
bookas58
08/06/2019 10:48 pm

With you on the top end climate , Manxcat . Now reside in Brisbane , which is bad enough . The bridge pickup in the Ibanez , tended to be a bit microphonic , especially with high gain . Getting too close to the amp was a risky business . Replaced it with a Seymour Duncan Pearley Gates . Plenty of growl and cleans up nicely with the volume rolled off a bit .

# 8
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
08/06/2019 11:44 pm

Yer the SD PG bridge or neck definitely has 'attitude'.

I'll see how the WHHB set goes. Been pleased beyond expectation with everything Wilkinson I've bought so far. PUPS, tuner mechs, saddles. My 612VII Pacifica has a Wilkinson vintage trem bridge, and that's really a cut above in every respect. Price performance ratio, from AU the brand is difficult to beat and the consistent quality is there.

[br]I love my SDs in my modded 311H and 612VII, but given the absurd distro pricing in AU and current weakness of our currency, one really needs them preinstalled in a custom job. I'd have liked one of these, but Cort only did a short run of them in 2015, with availability through the 2015 & 2016 catalogues.

Are you northside or southside?

# 9
bookas58
bookas58
08/08/2019 12:04 am

I had a Pacifica donated to the music group I run for the disadvantaged . Tried it out and it sounded pretty good . Sadly the frets were too far gone and it just did not justify the expense of a re-fret . Have only heard positives concerning Wilkonson gear . You are correct about the price of gear and our currency . That Pearly Gates would probably be + AU $300 now . Location is northside , leafy burbs , Alderley .

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.