View post (Beginner Lessons - Rock level 1 - Soloing..)

View thread

scottrpileggi
scottrpileggi
09/22/2019 3:19 am
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Hi scottrpileggi,

It actually sounds like you're pretty great at practicing. You're doing all the right things, you're going slow, you're repeating lessons, and working your way through so that you can play with the backing tracks in time.

The biggest issue seems like you're getting tired of the same thing, over and over again. I always recommend taking a break from the courses, and jump into a song lesson. Song lesson are so great at reinvigorating your love of playing.

I suggest going to the songs section and finding a song you like and learn how to play it.

What do you think?

I took your advice and learned 'Money for Nothing' by Dire Strats (You guys need that in your lesson library btw. it's a classic!) I always try to learn stuff by ear before I look up a tutorial, but the main riff in that song is so peculiar to my ear that I couldn't quite figure it out on my own.

Long story short. Learned it, had a blast playing it, and have also found that the further I've progressed in your beginner Rock courses, the more fun the practice songs start to become.

I just completed Beginner Rock level 1 and am actually impressed with how far I've come over just a few months. Really excited to dive into the level 2 course.

PS, soloing is definitely getting better,still sounds a little cheesy and sloppy but I'm definitely noticing progress. just takes time!