View post (Beginner Lessons - Rock level 1 - Soloing..)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/31/2019 7:58 pm

Hey & welcome to GT! Thanks for the background info. That really helps point students in the right direction.

Originally Posted by: scottrpileggi

On the other hand, my soloing still needs work. But I will say that soloing is an entirely new concept to me (as opposed to rhythm guitar), so the fact that I can do it at all over the course of 2 or 3 months is actually quite an achievement as far as I'm concerned. But I'm simply not as adept with it as I am with rhythm guitar.[/quote]

This is an excellent self-assessment. And it makes sense. You will be good at what you practice. It simply indicates that you need to be patient & spend more time getting lead guitar skills fully automated.

[quote=scottrpileggi]

I feel like I've been stuck practicing those two solos for the last couple of weeks and am starting to get bored. So what should I do? Should I simply proceed with the remainder of the course and revisit soloing afterwards? Or should I take a different approach?

Settle in. :) It will take time. Developing lead guitar skills is something you will do for the rest of your life, for as long as you play guitar.

Be patient with yourself. If these skills & ideas are new to you, then you'll need much more time to make them second nature. The only thing that will get you there is repetitious practice. So you are doing the right thing. Just keep going!

I encourage you to continue on through the course. That will keep things interesting. But at the same time, make time to go back over every previous lesson until you can get those skills & ideas fully under you command.

You might also enjoy this article on lead guitar playing.

https://www.guitartricks.com/blog/how-to-play-a-guitar-solo

Hope this helps! Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory