opinions on Traynor YCV80 2x12 combo

PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/05/2002 4:17 am
(Sorry about the length of my post)
Well, it's like this. I have a POD pro and a Mackie M-800 going into a Marshall 1960A cab. The problem, it's just too much stuff to carry around, and I don't use but about 10% of what the POD is for. So, I'm in the market for a 2x12 tube combo. I'm thinking about a Traynor YCV80. I don't use many effects, so I'll be new to the whole effects board stuff. What I have in mind are a Boss tuner, a Dunlop "Mister" cry baby wah/volume pedal, chorus, delay, and an Electro-harmonix "The Worm" (phaser, tremolo, and 2 other things all in one), and an SKB pedal board. Like I said I'm new to the separate pedal situation, so if I've left out anything important or have listed something not worth having, please let me know. I had previously thought about a Marshall JCM2000 TSL 2x12, but too expensive. Then I thought about a Marshall AVT combo or a Peavey combo and getting the new PODxt, but that would defeat one of my main purposes....NO modeling! So after reading some pretty good reports on the YCV80 at Harmony-Central, I just about have my mind made up. I just want to know what your opinions or personal experiences are with this amp and Traynor. I use a 2001 PRS custom 22, and play everything from blues to heavy metal, so I need a versatile amp, but about 90% of the time I use the same 2 channels. Any help will be greately appreciated. I look forward to meeting some of you in the new chat sometime.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 1
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
11/05/2002 10:46 pm
not many people will give you feedback on this amp cause its Canadain in origin but doesnt mean its made in canada or sold only in canada for that matter. This amp is awesome! I m going to buy one b4 the month is over. The low down is that for the cost, it an amazing amp. It sounds are much smoothier and warmer then anyother amp in the price range. I know this because me and my good friend who works at "long and Mcquade", the biggest or one of the biggest musical store franchies in canada, were testing them all out one day and he is an awsome player. The reason for the great sound is due to an all tube design with the pre-amp and amp manufactoring. Now a days most amps have a solid state-transistor (unless you get professional amps or really expensive ones)which is all crappy transistors. This is also why at 80 watts, the traynor is one bad mother f*****. I know guys who use it on stage in small pubs and bars. Not a lot of extra features on it, just a couple of things that add bass here, more tone there etc. Has two drives. Line out recording int he back...some little stuff. It a very versitile amp, but doesnt have a lot of the fancy setting that line 6 has or fender dsp's amps. The only amp that came close was the marshall, (i like rock), and even then, it wasent close...
Apparently at long the custom valve 40 is thier number one selling amp in its class so...and they sell alot of the 80.

to sum it up, its a great buy! Amazing amp!
p.s. if you live in canada and you might if you know about this amp its selling at Long and Mcquade for $850! and during this month there is no finacing interest for 1 year!
heres the web site http://www.longandmcquade.com/index.asp?section=4&level2=10

WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/06/2002 2:27 am
Thanks for the info. I live in the Southern U.S., Mississippi to be exact. I actually heard about this amp on this site, and I've also seen adds in guitar magazines. I found a place here that I could order the amp from, for $664.95, but I really want to play the amp before I deside to buy it. But, if I don't that's why I'm keeping my POD untill I know it's what I want.

How does the FX pedal board setup I have chosen sound?
(not literally each pedal, just the whole setup)

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/06/2002 4:53 am
The first 'real' guitar amp I ever played was a Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster with a 212 cab. (It was new at the time, so you can figure that was a while ago). The Traynor name, here in Canada, meant serious sh!t... it still does.

Since you're accustomed to the POD, and you're looking at tying a bunch of effects together anyway, I suggest you look around for a Yamaha DG Stomp. You can pick up a good used one for the price of 2 or 3 pedals, and get a lot of really good sounds in a reasonably durable package.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/06/2002 5:32 am
I checked the yamaha DG stomp out, but I want to stay away from amp modeling stuff. I've just about decided on a Line 6 MM-4 modulation pedal, a Boss tuner, and a Dunlop "Mister" cry baby wah/volume pedal. How does this setup sound?

ps: this setup will save me about $200 compared to the other setup. And that defanately brought a :) to my face

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/06/2002 2:47 pm
I own a Traynor YCV 40, which is the little brother of the YCV 80. It's a one speaker (12"), 40 watt all tube amp.

One issue you might have with it, given the type of music you play, is that the distortion onboard is not terribly crunchy. I would recommend a distortion pedal, esp. since you said you play heavy metal. The distortion on the Traynor (at least mine, that is) is really nice, and I love it, but it's vintage, not metal. By vintage, I mean that it's very fuzzy and doesn't sound at all compressed.

That's the only downside I can think of with the Traynor. Other than that - it has a pristine clean channel, perhaps it may be a little piercing (Red label Celestion speaker), but all I do is turn down the treble and click off the brightness function; beautiful vintage reverb (extra long Accutronics dual coil reverb tank); two-button footswitch for channel switching and to add boost to your distortion; and, it's built like a rock.

Hope you can order it to your local store then check it out, if you don't want the commitment.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 6
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
11/09/2002 5:36 am
I have just got the traylor cv80!!!!!!!!!!!! oooooooooooo hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh mmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!
dont mean to be a spoiled brat but i had to tell someone ....so ill be away for a while!!!! ssssswwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttt

# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/10/2002 5:24 pm
Ah, yes.... that, my friends, is definitely an EARgasm! :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
11/11/2002 2:59 pm
Well, Well hes the run down. Great sound....great sound. Good versatility and just a joy to play through. Did i mention power! grrrrrrrr what power! However i have this problem :(. When i first started playing the 80 it was great. There was virtually no hum at all so it was nice and quiet as the brocher said. However the next day while in the middle of playing, it started to hum. But as ive been telling you, the 80 is a pretty powerful amp...soooo this was a pretty powerful hum! It sounds like a generator for a small apartment building room maybe even a bit louder, i could hear it coming down the stair to my basement where it is placed. No matter what lvl of volume or setting of gain its at the hum stay constent. In fact it hurts my ears unless im constantly playing and even the standby button does nt do a thing! Before i return it, can anyone guess why this is so, if you can you win 50 guitar tab points!

# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/11/2002 3:32 pm
That sounds (bad pun!) like the filter capacitors in the power supply are failing. Stop using your amp! Get it into the shop for warranty repair [u]NOW![/u] Allowing AC to reach the Plate and Screen Grid can destroy your tubes!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
11/11/2002 4:44 pm
thanks man! im returning it for a nother one, fu*k em, im not letting them repair it! thanks for the speedy reply!
# 11
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/17/2002 6:22 am
anybody have any comments or opinions on the Marshall AVT275. I prefer to stick with Marshall, because that's just the sound I like, but I don't know about all the effects built in it. One of the main featured I like is that it has 4 different channels. I would go for the real deal and get a DSL or TSL tube amp, but they are much more expensive than I can afford or care to spend. Since I really only use chorus, reverb, delay, and wah, I thought the AVT275 might be a good rout to go. another question. Would a noise suppressor be necessary with this amp? or is it farely quiet at higher vol. Thanks for any help

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.