View post (Crestfallen here, left hand not cooperating)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
07/11/2019 1:36 pm
Originally Posted by: byronandmarina

I am brand-spanking new to the guitar even though my brother is a classical guitarist of renown in my native Brazil and in Europe. As a child, the guitar was forbidden to us girls and I played the violin. I thought the transition would be easy. It is not. I have rheumatoid arthritis. This is an autoimmune disorder and has nothing to do with age... even though I am no pup. While I do not have much damage to my hands, I am having a terrible time positioning my left hand correctly even when the instructor shows me the correct positioning and even attempts to put my very sore hands in place. I am beginning to think that this may have something to do with wrist flexibility. My last lesson yesterday made me feel so depressed, I am beginning to think this is a pipe dream. Anyone here with physical limitations? How did you get past it?

Do you use a strap? If not, I definately suggest doing so. I've been playing for decades and always practice with a strap.

Why? I can control the guitar's height. While playing with the guitar in the lap is mostly fine, I've found that with a strap, the guitar is exactly where I want it for maximum comfort.

It might well be that in your lap, the guitar is too low so when you are trying to fret a chord, you're having to bend your wrist around the neck in an unnatural way. Puttin on a strap and hiking the guitar up higher on your torso might make the wrap arounf the neck more comfortable. The less you bend your wrist, the better and hiking the instrument will help you straighten the bend angle of your wrist.

At least something to think about.